Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS had a 101, 2 in bbl in stainless and 357. 719 beans. Was thinking about trading my 101, same gun but 3 in bbl. less than 50 rounds thru it but 2 yr old.
How much difference would be a good deal?
No real reason to trade, other than I just like the looks of the 2 inch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn't make that trade other than to go to a longer barrel than 3". A 357 magnum needs more barrel but that's just another opinion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Keep the 3".
Unless you are completely unable to hide/shoot that 1" more of barrel for some reason.

Th previous posters were spot on.

Don't give in to "gotta have it NOW" syndrome. Been there, done that, and can sell T shirts for everyone here......

·
Registered
21 Posts
LGS had a 101, 2 in bbl in stainless and 357. 719 beans. Was thinking about trading my 101, same gun but 3 in bbl. less than 50 rounds thru it but 2 yr old.
How much difference would be a good deal?
No real reason to trade, other than I just like the looks of the 2 inch.
Yeah, good call in keeping the 3-inch. .357 needs longer barrels to get up to speed. I have the best of both worlds. I have a 3-inch SP101 in .357 and a 2-inch SP101 in 9mm. The 9mm SP101 has the equivalent semi-auto barrel length of 4-inches when measured from the breech face. It is a sweet shooter with great ballistics due to 9mm getting up to speed better in shorter barrels.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
My suggestion is to keep the 2.25" and simply buy the 3" SP101...you'll love the longer barrel for field work and the 2.25" is excellent for EDC, although both will work well as an EDC!
I have one of each and love them both! The older, 2.25" was a Christmas present to myself in December 1994 (still have it, still love it, still shoot it) and the 3" was picked up (very slightly) used condition as a field revolver while out at dad's on the farm!

Reactions: flip180

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My suggestion is to keep the 2.25" and simply buy the 3" SP101...you'll love the longer barrel for field work and the 2.25" is excellent for EDC, although both will work well as an EDC!
I have one of each and love them both! The older, 2.25" was a Christmas present to myself in December 1994 (still have it, still love it, still shoot it) and the 3" was picked up (very slightly) used condition as a field revolver while out at dad's on the farm!
I have the 3 and was looking at the 2. Budget won’t allow 2 pistols right now.
Will keep the 3 and hope the guy who shot 2 cops tries to get in house. Just kidding. He’s been on the loose for a week now. Keeps getting spotted about 10 miles away.
Maybe a smaller revolver for wife like an LCR in 22 mag or LR.

·
Administrator
23,041 Posts
I've been hearing about the shooter on the Tallahassee station. We are in Carrabelle, FL for the winter. Hopefully they will catch up to the guy.

I have the 2 1/4" SP and have about 3k rounds thru it, most .357 handloads and it is a great little handgun. Still locks up tight and it is as accurate as I am. My advice is if you have the 3" and like it then the grass isn't always greener, stick with it. I pocket carried the SP (in a pocket holster) for several years before I went over to the semi auto dark side. It requires a heavy belt and that is the only place I can think of a 2 1/4" outshines the 3".

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I had the 2¼". Bought the 3". Sold the 2¼" a few years later. 3" is easier to handle with 357 and 38 +P.

Revolver Gas Gun accessory Trigger Auto part

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would keep the 3 inch believe me you'll be happy that you did. The 2 inch has less fps more recoil and the concussive blast isnt conducive to long range sessions. I mad the mistake if trading my 3 inch and now want it back. I can conceal my 4 inch sp101 but the 3 inch is much more confortable and loses less fps. It really is the sweet spot. Use theiney you save on more ammo.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well couldnt find a 3 inch so against my better judgement i went with my revolver addictive nature and picked uo a 2 inch sp101. Lol.... i laugh at myself. I know its going to have more concussive blast but the weight will be better for quicker follow up shots.
Let it be a lesson learned think.long and hard before you trade a 3 inch.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I have a 2-1/4" DAO that I would never part with...but there's a 3" is on my bucket list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts