Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookin' to buy a new Ruger SP101, I saw a video from federal ammunition on the .327 magnum, I jus' fell in love with it ; anyone have experience with the SP101 .327 magnum...any help would be appreciated.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. If you want a new SP101 in .327 better hurry - Ruger has announced they are dropping that caliber from SP101 production. I have a couple of SP101s but not in .327. I've heard good things about them though and I'm sure others will be along to add their personal experience with that caliber in the SP101.

There are a few new .327 SP101s out there but once they're gone from dealer's inventory you will be limited to the used market.

Wave

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would go with the 357 mag. 327 ammo is harder to find and Ruger is closing that line of revolver.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would go with the 357 mag. 327 ammo is harder to find and Ruger is closing that line of revolver.
I would also recommend going with the .357 magnum models. Have a feeling that .327 Federal is going to end up like .357 Sig. If you reload for the .327 brass isn't as prevalent: even for all the other .32 cal rounds you can fire in the .327 Federal: 32 H&R, 32 S&W Long--combined all of these calibers just aren't as widely used as the .38 Special or .357 Magnum. If you don't reload it may be harder to walk into your local stores and pick up a box.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Get the 357 mag because you also have the option of shooting 38 specials in it also here in south west Virginia the 327 ammo is almost impossable to find

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, I agree that the ammo may become difficult to find, eventually but after years of shooting revolvers I'm one who has no particular love of the .357. I'm not saying it's not a good cartridge - it's just one I don't care for. I prefer a .44 or .45 caliber 6 shooter. I have always admired the SP101 but could find no reason to buy one due to the fact they are .38 or .357 5 shooters. I find my .327 6 shooter to be ideal for me. I already have a good supply of ammo and if it becomes unavailable I can always go back to reloading. There is all sorts of .32 caliber components. I just find the cartridge much more interesting than the .357

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have the SP in 327 and it's a nice little shooter. As has already been stated, the 327 ammo can be hard to get and a little pricey. Although I like my 327 very much you might be better off with the 357 if you're not a reloader. I've squirreled away about 1500 rounds of brass so should keep shooting for a long time to come. I think it makes a great self defense round.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Well if "what the other guy is buying" has anything to do with it, then I'd say don't. When looking for an SP101 and a 3" fixed sight GP100 there were none to be found anywhere except high rent on GunBroker and even some of them didn't have any. Yet at the same time my dealer had about a dozen of various models of .327 federals. Both in double and single action. I waited and got my SP and GP both in 357. Worth waiting for. Smithy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts