Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
In North Dakota there is a town called Menoken, where there is a large German-speaking population.

One day, a local farmer was driving down a country road and noticed a man using his hand to drink water from a neighbor's stock pond.

The farmer rolled down his window and shouted: "Sehr angenehm! Trink das Wasser nicht. Die kuehe haben darein geschissen."

Which means: "Glad to meet you! Don't drink the water. The cows have pooped in it."

The man shouted back: "I'm from New York and am here campaigning for Obama. I can't understand you. Please speak in English."

The farmer replied: "Use both hands."

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
N. Dak. Germans

In North Dakota there is a town called Menoken, where there is a large German-speaking population.

One day, a local farmer was driving down a country road and noticed a man using his hand to drink water from a neighbor's stock pond.

The farmer rolled down his window and shouted: "Sehr angenehm! Trink das Wasser nicht. Die kuehe haben darein geschissen."

Which means: "Glad to meet you! Don't drink the water. The cows have pooped in it."

The man shouted back: "I'm from New York and am here campaigning for Obama. I can't understand you. Please speak in English."

The farmer replied: "Use both hands."
:)New play on an old joke. It's a good one, but being from North Dakota (actually 24 miles from Menoken), I need to correct two parts of your joke that are not true; 1) There is not a large population there. Officially there are38 citizens
2) They're not German. They're Ukraine.

:D:D

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
:)New play on an old joke. It's a good one, but being from North Dakota (actually 24 miles from Menoken), I need to correct two parts of your joke that are not true; 1) There is not a large population there. Officially there are38 citizens

I guess they don't count the town drunk cause I drove through the other day and counted 39.:)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

getting away from the joke track for a moment, there is somewhere down there that's still predominantly german-speaking. is it wahpeton? i remember my dad and i going down there for something he was working on, going into a cafe/diner, and we were the only ones speaking english as a first language. everyone else was speaking north dakotan german.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
joke

getting away from the joke track for a moment, there is somewhere down there that's still predominantly german-speaking. is it wahpeton? i remember my dad and i going down there for something he was working on, going into a cafe/diner, and we were the only ones speaking english as a first language. everyone else was speaking north dakotan german.
:)Not Wahpeton. Farther west in south central N.Dak. Numerous small towns still speak lots of German. Napoleon, Hague, Kintyre, Wishek, New Leipzig. Very popular waterfowl and pheasant areas for out-of-state hunters, who own many small houses in those towns as hunting get-aways. The hunters love the chances they get to go to those areas and have made many life long friends with the German folks:D

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
:)Not Wahpeton. Farther west in south central N.Dak. Numerous small towns still speak lots of German. Napoleon, Hague, Kintyre, Wishek, New Leipzig. Very popular waterfowl and pheasant areas for out-of-state hunters, who own many small houses in those towns as hunting get-aways. The hunters love the chances they get to go to those areas and have made many life long friends with the German folks:D
might have been hettinger-- does that sound right?

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
german

might have been hettinger-- does that sound right?
:)Hettinger is another 75 to 100 miles farther west. More in the Norwegian country. But probably German also. The other small towns mentioned are east of the Missouri River, while Hettinger is west:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts