Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
In North Dakota there is a town called Menoken, where there is a large German-speaking population.

One day, a local farmer was driving down a country road and noticed a man using his hand to drink water from a neighbor's stock pond.

The farmer rolled down his window and shouted: "Sehr angenehm! Trink das Wasser nicht. Die kuehe haben darein geschissen."

Which means: "Glad to meet you! Don't drink the water. The cows have pooped in it."

The man shouted back: "I'm from New York and am here campaigning for Obama. I can't understand you. Please speak in English."

The farmer replied: "Use both hands."

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
N. Dak. Germans

In North Dakota there is a town called Menoken, where there is a large German-speaking population.

One day, a local farmer was driving down a country road and noticed a man using his hand to drink water from a neighbor's stock pond.

The farmer rolled down his window and shouted: "Sehr angenehm! Trink das Wasser nicht. Die kuehe haben darein geschissen."

Which means: "Glad to meet you! Don't drink the water. The cows have pooped in it."

The man shouted back: "I'm from New York and am here campaigning for Obama. I can't understand you. Please speak in English."

The farmer replied: "Use both hands."
:)New play on an old joke. It's a good one, but being from North Dakota (actually 24 miles from Menoken), I need to correct two parts of your joke that are not true; 1) There is not a large population there. Officially there are38 citizens
2) They're not German. They're Ukraine.

:D:D

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
:)New play on an old joke. It's a good one, but being from North Dakota (actually 24 miles from Menoken), I need to correct two parts of your joke that are not true; 1) There is not a large population there. Officially there are38 citizens

I guess they don't count the town drunk cause I drove through the other day and counted 39.:)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

getting away from the joke track for a moment, there is somewhere down there that's still predominantly german-speaking. is it wahpeton? i remember my dad and i going down there for something he was working on, going into a cafe/diner, and we were the only ones speaking english as a first language. everyone else was speaking north dakotan german.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
joke

getting away from the joke track for a moment, there is somewhere down there that's still predominantly german-speaking. is it wahpeton? i remember my dad and i going down there for something he was working on, going into a cafe/diner, and we were the only ones speaking english as a first language. everyone else was speaking north dakotan german.
:)Not Wahpeton. Farther west in south central N.Dak. Numerous small towns still speak lots of German. Napoleon, Hague, Kintyre, Wishek, New Leipzig. Very popular waterfowl and pheasant areas for out-of-state hunters, who own many small houses in those towns as hunting get-aways. The hunters love the chances they get to go to those areas and have made many life long friends with the German folks:D

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
:)Not Wahpeton. Farther west in south central N.Dak. Numerous small towns still speak lots of German. Napoleon, Hague, Kintyre, Wishek, New Leipzig. Very popular waterfowl and pheasant areas for out-of-state hunters, who own many small houses in those towns as hunting get-aways. The hunters love the chances they get to go to those areas and have made many life long friends with the German folks:D
might have been hettinger-- does that sound right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.