Left to right:
Two .500 magnums (obviously NOT old!)
Plastic hulled Remington 28 ga
Paper hulled Winchester 28 ga
Winchester brass 12 ga
Remington-UMC brass 12 ga
Winchester paper hulled 8 ga slug!
.50 BMG
KY shot glass in shape of shotgun shell!
NRA shot glass

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Cool! The NRA store (their headquarters, range and museum is just a couple blocks from my office) has really cool shotgun shell lighters. I want to buy one every time I'm in there, but I don't smoke. Well, about once a month I'll have a cigar.

I didn't know they made brass shotgun shells. How old are those??

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Well I've sure seen the 28 guages. When I was in high school, a guy in the hardware store sold me a used H&R single shot 28 guage for $25.00. It was pretty hard to find ammo for it, even back then. Those were the good old days! (Oh, by the way, I didn't take it to school and kill my classmates.)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

I didn't know they made brass shotgun shells. How old are those??
Those are pretty old, but I have seen new ones being made now for cowboy action shooting. I think Cabela's sells new ones, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

Got some oldies there gunman. How about one of these?

I know you experts don't need any explanations but this numskull would like to know more about what this shell is. And what is the pipe extending from it?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
thats pretty old, did ya get it from sheepdog? lol

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by peace

quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

Got some oldies there gunman. How about one of these?

I know you experts don't need any explanations but this numskull would like to know more about what this shell is. And what is the pipe extending from it?
i've only seen pics of this stuff. i believe it is what they call "pinfire" ammo. kind of think of it as the firing pin is attached to the ammo and not the gun. The attached "pin" goes to the primer mix inside the shell-----i think......

there are a lot of old cartridges and concepts out there. here is a link to an outfit that sells old ammo
http://www.ammo-one.com/00.html

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think it's "one hitter" Peace Pipe that was used in the 18th Century by a Native American Indian Tribe from what we now call Oklahoma........................... Or not. :D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The deputy is correct. The firing pin is attached to the case. The hammer falls into a groove striking the pin and firing the shell. Metallic cartridges were also made this way. You just wanted to make sure you didn't drop any on a hard floor while reloading. They are called pinfire cartridges and were made prior to the modern cartridge we see today, circa 1850-1880s.

·
Registered
842 Posts
My sister had a pinfire revolver, French made if I remember right but I didn't know there were shotguns that used that system too.
Baker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Now, while I was waiting on the pic, I was thinking "Now Calvin will come up with a pinfire shell"but Jimbo beat him to it....cool....haven't seen the 8 ga. slug or the shot glasses...all the others, I helped invent, before I ran for VP....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
28 was more common when I was a sprite...now, it's pretty much in trap and skeet rich guy guns...don't know if anyone in America still makes it...even in a double???????????

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am pretty sure Ruger still makes the Red Label in 28 ga.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

28 was more common when I was a sprite...now, it's pretty much in trap and skeet rich guy guns...don't know if anyone in America still makes it...even in a double???????????
Besides ruger, remington and h&r/nef still make a 28ga gun in America. Believe everything else is imported.

Made in U.S.A. may become a rare thing................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts