Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these two rounds in a box of clearance ammo. 260G MagTech 454. Is there a risk in trying to shoot them, or should I dispose of them some other way?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Wow, I've never seen the like. It looks as though the bullets were never seated properly, although the top of the case looks as though it might have been crimped - maybe after the bullet was partially seated. I can't imagine that enough force could have been applied to them in the box to get them to "jump crimp" without also mangling the box.

As for shooting them...

My first concern would be that they'd be too long overall for the cylinder and would jam it. Assuming that the correct powder charge is in the case (kind of a guess, considering how the manufacturer clearly failed in QA), the peak chamber pressure should be slightly lower than normal, which might lead to incomplete combustion of the powder. The end result would be a low-power round, possibly even a squib if the factory also messed up the powder load.

Personally, I'd take these rounds - and probably the entire lot - apart and reload using the case and bullet. Considering the power of the .454 round, I wouldn't fire any round that looked "off", just in case there were hidden flaws, as well.

Jim

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks. The ends of the two bullets are chewed up too, like they got caught in a desk drawer or something. I'll probably give them back to the LGS and see if they can dispose of them. I doubt they would even fit in the gun, though I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The OP may not be a reloader - but if you know someone who it - they should have a puller and can take the rounds apart and see if there is a proper amount of powder in there - might need to pull one that looks correct for comparison. That person may or may not reload that caliber and two ( or three ) rounds worth of components may not be worth trying to sell - although if you were to round up all your sent cases you could likely sell them (or sell them back to Magtech possibly?) and include those two rounds.

I'd be inclined to let Magtech know about it - lot number and such if available.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Factory ammo and if they chamber shoot them. They really are not to long and still look to be in the cannelure. Not the best QC but still usable IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts