Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have the Spectre sling ( and mag pouch ) on two of my Mini's. The third would have one as well, but it is a wood stock wood hand guard M1A look alike, so I keep a G.I. web sling on it.
I didn't like the wrap around attachment on the front, so I installed a Noveske flush mount Q.D. socket for a swivel. It is held on by a thin square nut that goes inside the barrel channel liner. I used a Dremel to countersink the thin nut so it wouldn't be in the way of the heat liner in the fore end. It is a really clean mount, as there is nothing sticking out when you remove the sling for range use, etc.
I much prefer to mount a sling on the Mini on the side, as the magazine isn't digging into your back when slung across the back for two hands free use. For "ready" carry, the Mini is across your chest, and can be brought up instantly, or let go of it to draw a handgun and the carbine will hang until you grab it again. No slings mounted under the gun for me, except for the Mini-30 I mentioned earlier with the O.D. green cotton G.I. sling. The back swivel is actually mounted close to the top of the butt stock.
Here are a couple pics of people holding a carbine using a side sling:

Here is the Mini-14 with the Noveske side mount, and a close up of the socket ( I might add that I am left handed, if you are right handed the sling will mount on the right side of the Mini):

Here is a link to the Noveske mount, it says for Polymer stock, but don't see why you couldn't use it on a wood stock:
Noveske Flush Mount Push-Button Quick Detach Universal Sling Mount
Here is another option, Q.D. (or non Q.D.) that I am putting on my grey Cerakoted Mini-30, I will also use some epoxy spread on the mounting screws:
Universal Quick Detach Sling Attachment|GG&G
Universal Rectangular Sling Attachment|GG&G Tactical Accessories

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for this info. I hate the sling that I have now with the bottom mounts, side mounts would be much better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought a BlackHawk 3-point sling for my mini 30. The front strap does block the site so I just attached to the bottom front ring and it works just fine. Take a look at this video by the gunguy and you will see a similar set up on his Saiga rifle: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lvs77SH18yY

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the Noveske mounts and couldn't be happier. Thanks for the recommendation Sandog.

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Nice job, glad you like them.
Maybe you should have put the swivel socket more towards the top of the butt stock on the back one.
The Mini will want to roll away from you if both front and back are mounted on the side.
Mounting the back one at the top of the stock will help keep the gun upright when in the front carry position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts