Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question for folks who hunt with a revolver .... when hunting with a revolver, do you carry speed loaders .... if so, how many

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I don't hunt but I do have a speed loader for my S&W revolver. I need to practice with it more because for me it's not that fast. A bit easier than handling the individual rounds but maybe it's me or maybe it's the model of revolver I have but mine is a bit tricky to get it lined up properly and I have to fiddle with it a bit to get all the rounds to drop in without any part of the loader or the rounds getting hung up on something.
If I were going to compete with a revolver I would definitely have to get a combination more like what Jerry Miculek uses.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,389 Posts
I carry two speed loaders any time I carry a double-action revolver. Most of my hunting is done with a single-action Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum with a 10 1/2" barrel.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Seems to me, if you have gotten off 5 or 6 shots and the animal is still hanging around waiting for a reload, go nudge it to see if it's already dead.

Reactions: Big McK

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
When hunting the reloads aren't for game. It's for in case something stupid happens. I have heard stories of hunters being ambushed or attacked by people who will wait until you get back to your truck and try and rob you of your equipment. I have heard other stories of being followed or caught off guard up in the Appalachian areas, where some have gone missing, never to be found. No one knows what happens but if it's ever me I need to be prepared.

This one happened years ago in our state.
Escaped Inmates May Have Robbed Hunters - CBS News

I guess for those who hunt on private lands it's probably not much of something to worry about.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
yes, one. only 5-Star speed loaders for this guy.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're hunting big game with a revolver and need 7+ shots, you're doing it wrong.
Seems to me, if you have gotten off 5 or 6 shots and the animal is still hanging around waiting for a reload, go nudge it to see if it's already dead.

snide remarks aside, I can see how folks with limited hunting experiences might feel that way .... under "normal" circumstances there may well not be a need for additional ammo .... unfortunately, we hunt in an area were rabies comes and goes .... lets just say that in the not too distant past having a few extra rounds came in handy .... the same has been true, when a pistol's scope/red dot needed to be tested/adjusted .... helpful responses given are appreciated

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
snide remarks aside, I can see how folks with limited hunting experiences might feel that way .... under "normal" circumstances there may well not be a need for additional ammo .... unfortunately, we hunt in an area were rabies comes and goes .... lets just say that in the not too distant past having a few extra rounds came in handy .... the same has been true, when a pistol's scope/red dot needed to be tested/adjusted .... helpful responses given are appreciated
You asked for opinions, I gave mine based on my experience as a handgun hunter. I've killed literally thousands of game animals with handguns, and dozens of deer and even bear, gators, elk, bison, and pronghorn with revolvers. I take spare ammunition, but if you need 7+ rounds in a quick reload, again, you're doing it wrong. I do use cartridge belts and pouches, as well as using tuff strips, but only to keep ammo organized in my pockets. Speed loaders just aren't necessary for hunting. But I can see how people with limited handgunning experience and can't hit the broad side of a barn might need faster reloads to dispatch the game they crippled.

The rabies story is a cop out. I made a living at nuisance animal removal for a time, often over populated deer, but often removal of "rabid" animals. - hundreds of these calls. 6 shots in a revolver is plenty to dispatch a rabid animal, unless you're just a terrible shot. Rabid animals do not pack together, so it's not like you'll experience packs of rabid zombie coyotes... My "suspected rabid animal call" gun was a single shot from a 22lr Ruger Mark II pistol.

If a person carries extra hunting ammo because they're worried about getting robbed after, that's a different game. I have a couple of buddies that I call coyotes with in Arizona that take 200-500 rounds for their AR when they call - for the simple fact that there are "coy-oh-tays" running drugs out there that aren't friendly. But that isn't driven by hunting, that's driven by defensive necessity.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we spend our summers in South Dakota where we enjoy gopher hunting .... we've found that practicing on gophers with our hunting pistols really help .... although not mandatory, having speed loaders available at such times can come in handy

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You asked for opinions, I gave mine based on my experience as a handgun hunter. I've killed literally thousands of game animals with handguns, and dozens of deer and even bear, gators, elk, bison, and pronghorn with revolvers. I take spare ammunition, but if you need 7+ rounds in a quick reload, again, you're doing it wrong. I do use cartridge belts and pouches, as well as using tuff strips, but only to keep ammo organized in my pockets. Speed loaders just aren't necessary for hunting. But I can see how people with limited handgunning experience and can't hit the broad side of a barn might need faster reloads to dispatch the game they crippled.

The rabies story is a cop out. I made a living at nuisance animal removal for a time, often over populated deer, but often removal of "rabid" animals. - hundreds of these calls. 6 shots in a revolver is plenty to dispatch a rabid animal, unless you're just a terrible shot. Rabid animals do not pack together, so it's not like you'll experience packs of rabid zombie coyotes... My "suspected rabid animal call" gun was a single shot from a 22lr Ruger Mark II pistol.

If a person carries extra hunting ammo because they're worried about getting robbed after, that's a different game. I have a couple of buddies that I call coyotes with in Arizona that take 200-500 rounds for their AR when they call - for the simple fact that there are "coy-oh-tays" running drugs out there that aren't friendly. But that isn't driven by hunting, that's driven by defensive necessity.
BINGO! Opinions were requested regarding speedloading and hunting. Then the discussion diverted to self-defense against 2 and 4-legged predators. If we have now modified the original discussion to include the need for speedloaders in a self-defense scenario, then I say "yes, yes, yes". By all means carry spare mags and/or speedloaders. However, I stand by my original opinion regarding hunting of game animals - one shot, one kill (or goodbye animal).

And, as a side note and BTW, this discussion is in the "Hunting" forum.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
If I were hunting with a DA revolver, I probably wouldn't consider the need for speed loaders.

On the other hand, speed strips allow me to carry spare ammo in a flat and convenient manner.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I were hunting with a DA revolver, I probably wouldn't consider the need for speed loaders.

On the other hand, speed strips allow me to carry spare ammo in a flat and convenient manner.
speed strips do have advantages .... for one thing, they allow reloading less than a full cylinder .... that fact is directly applicable to most hunting conditions .... over the years I've hunted with some really outstanding marksmen .... guys for whom one shot = one tag filled is the norm .... that said, I've never hunted with one who only takes one round into the woods

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The rules just keep on changing... First it's "hunting," then it's "defense against rabid animals or people that want to rob me in the field," now it's specifically "gopher hunting"...

I own a happy collection of speed loaders and moon clips. Most of my hunting doesn't necessitate them, nor do they offer any advantage - read clearly - "most." Specific variances to that would include **** hunting over hounds. I typically carry a Ruger Mark II semiauto, but intend to take my SP101 22lr afield this winter in that role. I also take speed loaders when I'm running my traplines, but that's specific enough that I felt no need to modify the rules of the question to suit that twist.

I take 10rnds for my rifle in the field after big game, and generally 10 or 12 for my revolvers. I have never came back with more than 3 empties for one game animal. When coyote hunting, I usually have 20rnds for my 22lr on my hip, 10 reload rounds for my 12ga, and 40-60rnds for my AR. When I go sit over a prairie dog town, I take 3 or 4 rifles and 500-1000rnds of ammunition. When I walk into a business meeting, I have an LCP over my appendix, and a mag in my pocket.

Are all of those situations really relevant for the simple question - that was asked with NO stipulation for type of hunting:

question for folks who hunt with a revolver .... when hunting with a revolver, do you carry speed loaders .... if so, how many
As I said in my original post:

If you're hunting big game with a revolver and need 7+ shots, you're doing it wrong.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,937 Posts
I hunt with a Redhawk in. 44mag and carry a flat MTM case holding six extra rounds. It carries well in a pocket and is perfect for topping up after firing a couple of shots.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I asked a straight forward question which apparently struck a nerve with self proclaimed elite hunters/marksmen .... I don't claim to be on such a lofty perch, hence the need to ask questions .... I do thank the folks who made positive, pertinent responses, specially the one recommending speed strips .... such suggestions offer constructive, helpful alternatives

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hunt with a Redhawk in. 44mag and carry a flat MTM case holding six extra rounds. It carries well in a pocket and is perfect for topping up after firing a couple of shots.
suggestion appreciated .... I had to look up an "MTM case" and now that I know what it is, I like the concept

1 - 20 of 24 Posts