Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speed six has a spurless hammer, I realized that is one of the factors in play when choosing a holster. A thumb break doesn't do much good on this gun, right? Wouldn't you be able to pivot the gun past that break and take it out while it's still snapped?

I want this to be my carry gun. And I want to carry it on my right hip. Any and all suggestions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated. I haven't ruled out IWB but am leaning toward OWB.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I am also doing reaearch as i have a "six" on lay-a-way and these have been saved for future study. I'll go crazy having so much time to research it:

http://www.tsparksolutions.com/taurisholsters/reinhighride.cfm this one is available without thumb break and with tension screw.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=997&GunID=77 don't know about this one

http://www.miltsparks.com/ Oh yeah! Must contact them and see if they will do a "six" in this one!

http://www.donhume.com/index.cfm probably were i'm going if i don't go Sparks, hume will do the "six" in the model H721 O.T.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent research so far, Deputy, thanks for letting me tag along!

This one here I like a LOT! How does the tension screw work??

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one here (I'm liking this Tauris site a lot) looks like a good answer to the spurless hammer, don't you think??

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
looks like that will work too!

Decisions, decisions,
Are you after a thumb break/security strap for yours?

At this point, I've only been considering an open top for myself.

The tension screw tightens things up creating more friction to keep the weapon in place

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This will be my first carry weapon, so I think emotionally I will need the thumb break for added confidence that it's not going to fall out somewhere when I sit down or something.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Well made holsters will hold your gun when you're doing somersaults...I stopped using thumb breaks early on...had one on my duty holster but it carried high and close to my elbow in the summer and was a Safariland with a sight track in winter-it's enough to move your shirt/jacket...let alone having to unsnap in a hurry...and if you unsnap when you sense danger-you've just told him you have a gun...these pictured don't need thumb breaks...they're hand molded to the gun...so are the Don Humes (about $30)...and it takes pulling to draw-I can shake my 715 IWBs and they hold the gun....I left the breaks on my duty holsters because they saved my shirts from wear, but I never snapped 'em...this old dog's too slow and always have been...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sheepdog, do you mean that the tension screw is not required either? Here is one with a belt tunnel rather than the slots, which is nice, but on the site the tension screw or thumb break is an option. So if it's hand molded to the gun, is a tension screw still necessary or helpful, I guess that's my question.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I wouldn't pay for it-nor use it...as well molded as it is...why? Carrying concealed, who's going to get a hand on it but you?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see what you're saying, but the fact that they offer it as an option makes me think it's offered for a reason. But the one shown here comes up pretty high on the gun, and the fact that mine is a 3" barrel puts an even higher percentage of the entire gun within the holster, I guess it'd be pretty secure. I'm not worried about someone grabbing it, more about it just falling out. But that's just paranoia talking, I'm sure. Just to be positive, though, please send me a video of you doing somersaults without a thumb break. :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
233.5...ain't gonna be no somersaults.....you need to buy what you're happy with, but I promise you, if you're behind the BG's action trying to catch up, and have not faithfully practiced the whole draw, you're going to try to snatch that gun and probably tear it off your belt...thumb-snapping will just not come to mind-and I mean a LOT of practice to get it in your memory far enough that it will happen when you're experiencing raw terror....seen it happen...it ain't pretty...or funny...even later...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I agree wholeheartedly, I just didn't have a feel for how secure the gun can be without it. And trust me, brother, I am not exactly going to be doing somersaults myself. So I guess a custom molded, high quality holster wouldn't spit my gun out while I'm sitting down watching TV, huh.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Almost identical to the one I carried OWB...good people to deal with...been a customer since 71 when I bought a belt and a slapjack...never mind what size belt....I'm outahere....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Don hume is good stuff. I started out with hume gear in the form of a jordon holster, belt, speedloader case, and cuff case. After a few years i gradually went to tex shoemaker. Today i am back with hume.

I still like a tension screw to be there if needed. One could alwas strategicly add a chicago screw as needed i suspose.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered that Hume holster in the dark brown shown above. I'll post back when I get it, but I assume I'm going to be happy with it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

I just ordered that Hume holster in the dark brown shown above. I'll post back when I get it, but I assume I'm going to be happy with it.
I'm thinking of ordering a Don Hume H721 O.T. for my 2 3/4 inch Security Six. How long did it take for delivery and did you order directly through D Hume?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did order through Hume and while I don't remember how long it took, it was timely and they were a pleasure to deal with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts