Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My first post here. Looking for help with understanding how the factory installed lanyard ring attaches to the bottom of the grip frame on a 1982 vintage, round butt Speed Six. I've searched the interweb and have found many pics of the factory lanyard, and have seen many pics of the lanyard attached with grips installed.

I can't find Any pics of the grip frame with lanyard attached with grips removed. A pic would be outstanding. But I'd be happy with a written explanation. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the diagram!!! It looks simple enough. Seems pin number 4 is driven thru the grip frame and the lanyard swivel. That would be what holds the swivel in place. I'm wondering what the purpose of pin number 1 and 2 are related to the swivel. If any.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I'm asking about lanyard rings on Speed Six revolvers, I picked up this Speed Six from a friend of mine. It seems typical except the machine work done to the grip frame butt. It definitely looks like factory work, maybe some kind of odd lanyard ring attachment point? I was hoping someone could shed some light.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don’t know about that one, but it looks like a pine would be inserted/pressed into the hole and a leather thong/shoe lace then could be placed around it and tied. Presto, lanyard?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. A simple pin press in. I think you're right about that. I was way over thinking it. I was imaging some kinda horseshoe gizmo squeezed together and snapped into the two holes. Well, I'm going with straight pin for now. That makes good sense. Thank you!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Most of the Police Service Sixes and Speed Sixes with lanyards were factory made by Ruger under a contract with the US military. Most were issued to air crew personnel (Army helicopter pilots and crew members, etc.) That way they could secure them to their gear as not to lose them.

Others were also made with the lanyard for contract sales to foreign military and police most notably to South American countries and India as well as others. The ones sold to India were chambered in a round called .380 Rim. This was basically the updated .38 S&W round. The British also used something similar, the British .38/200 Mk I round.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the additional info. I've seen several pics on the web of the traditional lanyard arrangement illustrated in Pine Workers diagram.

I can't find any information or pics of the lanyard arrangement on this Speed Six I recently purchased (pictured above). If anyone has any information, I'd be interested. Thank you.

Also, the serial number on my Speed Six is on the side of the grip frame instead of the bottom of the grip butt. Which, also seems odd.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yours is a different style than most lanyard equipped Service and Speed Sixes. I'm going to do a bit more research to see what I can find out. Most of them were the same as the diagram above showed, attached to the base of the grip. Your's is odd because the s/n would be obscured when you put the grips on.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Your Speed Six appears to be pretty rare. Research shows that it may have been one of approximately 300 that were made with this style cut that were made for a law enforcement contract in the US.

There were similar ones made for a French contract (Manurhin) and they had the lanyard cut the same but they had the Ruger address on the left side of the cylinder frame and the serial number on the right side of the cylinder frame. There is only 1 known to be in a private collection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Speed Six appears to be pretty rare. Research shows that it may have been one of approximately 300 that were made with this style cut that were made for a law enforcement contract in the US.
Thanks for the information!!! Can you elaborate on the law enforcement contact? Mostly, which agency ordered these odd cut revolvers?

I considered finding a correct dia and length pin to install to 'complete' the lanyard setup. Except, I'm unsure of what type of pin would be proper. Solid pin or roll pin, blued or stainless. I think I'll just leave it as is for now.

I'd also like to install a set of wood grips. I'm on the hunt for a nice set. Several sets available online, none that would match the condition of this revolver.

The rubber grips do not seem correct for this revolver. They cover up the lanyard cutout.

Does anyone have any information on the rubber grips that are currently on this gun? Most likely factory? Seems this revolver dates to early 80's. Is this the type of grip that was being used then?

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
OEM Ruger wood grips would be the correct grip. It would cover the pin but not the cut out. Check ebay or Gunbroker for them.

It probably would have been a blued pin but since it (that particular pin) is not listed anywhere no one knows what it might have been. Since the grips cover the pin, a roll pin will work until you can determine what was OEM.

No one is sure of who the LE agency would have been. What I would do is go to the Ruger site, that click on the customer service button at the bottom, then click on serial number lookup and then click on Request for Letter of Authenticity. That will pop up a form you can print and fill out and send to Ruger (along with $10). They will send you a LOA and tell you when it was produced, when it was shipped and who it was shipped to. This may answer a lot of your questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got the letter back from Ruger. I'm unfamiliar with the company mentioned. A quick internet search says possibly a firearms wholesaler? It looks like they're mostly a web based business now. Maybe I'll give them a call. I'd like to know who ordered this revolver with the lanyard groove cut into the grip frame. Possibly I'll never know.

Also, I picked up some wood grips. Much nicer than the rubber grips, I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
That Davidsons Supply Co. was the precursor of the now Davidsons (Gallery of Guns, etc.) located in AZ. https://www.davidsonsinc.com

From their site:
In 1932 Davidson’s opened its doors as a wholesaler of used auto parts in Greensboro, NC and over the long history of the company it also supplied general hunting and fishing supplies, consumer electronics, special liquidation purchases, and general sporting goods. In the 1980’s, Davidson’s shifted its focus to rest squarely on the wholesale distribution of firearms in the U.S. and today is one of the country’s largest firearms wholesalers. We believe our success depends on having a progressive mindset without sacrificing the traditional values of excellent service. Davidson’s brings you the best of old and new; years of experience, a huge firearms inventory, innovative services and a rock solid reputation in the firearms industry.

Being cataloged as a SS-32P, that it could an overrun of a French contract (Manurhin) but it could also be one of those shipped to a US law enforcement agency under contract. Davidsons should be able to help you out. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a Ruger Speed six round butt Gov Contract new ,unfired in the shipping box and foil wrapper , Gov manual . I will dig it out and have a look at its lanyard ring . its a 38 spl unfired .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a Ruger Speed six round butt Gov Contract new ,unfired in the shipping box and foil wrapper , Gov manual . I will dig it out and have a look at its lanyard ring . its a 38 spl unfired .

If it has a lanyard cut like mine, I'd love to see some pics. Actually, I'd love to see some pics regardless. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts