Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of the stainless steel Speed-Sixes that I see have either a 2.75" or 4" barrel.

Mine is a 1988 in .357 Magnum.
When I measure the barrel, I measure from the back of the forcing cone to the muzzle end of the barrel. This seems like the true barrel length to me. I come up with a 3" barrel. Looking at some factory specs I see that this model did come in a 3" barrel and also a 2.75" barrel.

What say you?
I'm wondering if I am measuring from the wrong place and I really have a 2.75" barrel?

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
Nice Six, the 3" barreled Speed-Sixes were made for the Postal Service Inspectors in .357 and a run for Immigration and Naturalization Service chambered in .38 Spl. My guess is that you have one of the overruns from the UPS guns, I have seen them before.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Great looking SS.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The barrel length is measured from the bullet end of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. The cylinder-barrel gap is negligible measuring this way. Also, the specified barrel lengths are nominal, usually rounded to the nearest 1/8 inch, i.e., not always the factory specified length. Good looking revolver.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words.
It is a great shooter with a very smooth trigger pull.
I've always heard good things about the Speed-Six line so I took a chance on it.

I'm going to call it a 3" barrel. Most of the ones that I've looked at on line while doing my research are listed as a 2.75" barrel but look just like mine. I guess a quarter of an inch is sort of hard to spot from photos.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The 3" models have a more gradual angle at the front of the underlug under the barrel than the 2.75" models. Here is a 2.75" to compare with yours:

·
Registered
563 Posts
From the pictures you show, and the finish on it I would say that you got an overrun gun from the USPS contract. Measuring from the end of the forcing cone or the front of the cylinder will give you the barrel measurement within a few thousandths of each other. If it is 3" then it probably an overrun gun. The ones sold to the USPS and INS would have been marked USPS or INS on the side. Being it is a .357 then it would make it one of the USPS guns.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 3" models have a more gradual angle at the front of the underlug under the barrel than the 2.75" models. Here is a 2.75" to compare with yours:

That really clears up the confusion. Looking at the steeper angle on the 2.75 makes mine a 3" for sure.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Most of the stainless steel Speed-Sixes that I see have either a 2.75" or 4" barrel.

When I measure the barrel, I measure from the back of the forcing cone to the muzzle end of the barrel. This seems like the true barrel length to me. I come up with a 3" barrel. Looking at some factory specs I see that this model did come in a 3" barrel and also a 2.75" barrel.

What say you?
I'm wondering if I am measuring from the wrong place and I really have a 2.75" barrel?
It's a 3" barrel and a very nice and relatively rare revolver that commands a higher price than the standard 2.75". As stated here it's sloped differently at the end. I've got the identical gun(GS-83) except 38 spl and DAO made for NYCPD oddly with the same matte finish as yours. I may be mistaken but I believe the USPS models were produced in 1987 prior to mine which was June 1988 production. MY sn# is 162-426XX. If yours is USPS it's a GS-33PS. I believe the Immigration and Naturalization agents had 3" Speed Sixes and possibly the US Border patrol. It's worth $10 to get it lettered from Ruger which will give you model designation, production date and when & where it was shipped. All they need is the serial number. Look at the bottom of barrel below extractor to see if it's stamped USPS.

Attachments

·
Pony Soldier
8,521 Posts
Nice looking revolver!

Greg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

What say you?
It's a 3" barrel and a very nice and relatively rare revolver that commands a higher price than the standard 2.75". As stated here it's sloped differently at the end. I've got the identical gun(GS-83) except 38 spl and DAO made for NYCPD oddly with the same matte finish as yours. I may be mistaken but I believe the USPS models were produced in 1987 prior to mine which was June 1988 production. MY sn# is 162-426XX. If yours is USPS it's a GS-33PS. I believe the Immigration and Naturalization agents had 3" Speed Sixes and possibly the US Border patrol. It's worth $10 to get it lettered from Ruger which will give you model designation, production date and when & where it was shipped. All they need is the serial number. Look at the bottom of barrel below extractor to see if it's stamped USPS.
Thanks for the info.
My serial# is 162-231xx.
I checked the Ruger website to come up with 1988 as the production year.

I"ll check for the USPS markings when I get home.

The grips are Mustang grips with their original box. I smoothed off some ruff edges and finished with 6 coats of tru-oil hand rubbed.

It shoots as nice as it carries too. It seems to be about the same size as a S&W K frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts