Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Packy grips that Sheepdog was kind enough to send me, and I could tell right away that they were going to allow me to hold the gun steadier as I go through that double action trigger pull.

But I was quite surprised at just how great the improvement was.

I think you can read it, but this was my first thirty shots with Sheepdog's grips, at 7 yards using two hands. This is an 8.5x11 sheet with one of those stick on targets on it.

For comparison, here is a larger target, same distance, fifty shots using the original grips:

Here is what the gun looks like with the Packys...

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
It looks like they really helped you EddieF. I sure do like the looks of those on your Ruger.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah they have a great shape. Part of me still wants to see wood there, but these results are very difficult to argue with. I haven't looked into what these grips cost, but they have to be cheaper than Hogue wood grips, don't they?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
those are old from a gunshop which went out of business...I gave like $16.....expect to pay up to $24.00...Midway has a good selection but I'd internet to Pachmayr's home company-Lyman, I think....and find out what the stock # is-may even find 'em on the internet...try pachmayr grips for Speed Six or something like that...knew that's what you needed....did the same for me....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Different grip-10% smaller than the ones you have...I don't like them...your hands may be different...I'd talk to packy and see if they can tell you where to dupe the ones you have...the key is you want Compac, not Compac Professional.....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Great improvement indeed! Looks definately to be a keeper!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sheepdog: I'm glad I posted that! Didn't realize there was a difference, I will contact them. Thanks.

Deputy: Thanks! I was very pleased with it. But truthfully, I love that speed six, and if didn't look like a keeper, I'd just move the target closer until it did!

I forgot to mention, After the speed six I shot the regular .38 specials out of the GP100 with 41 magnum's beautiful new grips, and that GP gets smoother all the time. It's like butter. Really great shootin' gun. Between those two, I am very happy with my double action revolvers.

·
Banned
723 Posts
I would say that the new stocks helped tremendously.

They aren't as fancy as wood, but if you can't hit your target who cares how fancy they are? I have a set of Pac's for long range days for my N-Frame and J-Frame.

Changing the stocks is another reason why I like revolvers. You can change your groupings pretty easily. When you have a set of stocks that acutually fit your hand it does wonders for your shooting.

Biker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts