Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speed Six Rust Blue refinish **Found some "Before" pics**

Thought I'd post up the results of my latest project. I posted it on another popular forum, but being as it is a Ruger and I have been registered here for quite some time, I thought this a decent introduction.

I picked it up on-line over a year and a half ago. The seller described the gun as having been owned by a security company. I can only imagine that it spent some time sliding around, unholstered, on the floorboard of the 'security vehicle'. The finish was pretty much beaten to hell, with about 50% of the bluing left. There were quite a few scratches and some pretty deep gouges and dents as well.

Mechanically, though, the thing was perfect - smooth as butter, in fact, so, when I got it, I knew I had wisely spent my $250.00.

I did my best with the dents and gouges,but I'm no professional. The rest of the metal prep was some sanding, then a bead blast (80 grit beads). I'm still amazed at the depth that Rust Bluing gives to even a bead blasted finish. There was no polishing beyond the bead blasting aside from the carding wheel and steel wool. I have got to start remembering to do some 'before' photos when I start these things!

Anyway, here are the results: The grips are just some no name walnuts I found on ebay a while back. I'm in the process of rehabbing the original grips as well - they were even more beat up than the gun. I've sanded the checkering smooth (it was almost gone already), and I'm doing a BLO + Tom's 1/3 mix finish on them. I may post photos with those grips once they are done.

2012-11-04_13-01-45_491 by marklmurray, on Flickr

2012-11-04_13-00-38_772 by marklmurray, on Flickr

2012-11-04_12-59-25_563 by marklmurray, on Flickr

·
Registered
549 Posts
Great looking wheel gun, Welcome to the forum from North Carolina

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hello and welcome! Nice job on the old Six! Pick up a set of new/old stock target grips from Ruger (shopruger.com) for $10 and you'll be golden.

Wave

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Great looking wheel gun.
I shudder to think what it looked like previously.

·
Super Moderator
21,714 Posts
How to take an old soldier and make it proud again. Great job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello and welcome! Nice job on the old Six! Pick up a set of new/old stock target grips from Ruger (shopruger.com) for $10 and you'll be golden.

Wave
Thanks! I actually have the original grips that came with the gun. They were in pretty bad shape and the checkering was about half worn off, so I sanded them down the rest of the way smooth. They're currently getting the BLO, Tom's 1/3 mix finish, but they'll be ready later this week, I hope. I plan to post some pics with her 'proper' grips once those are done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great looking wheel gun.
I shudder to think what it looked like previously.
It was pretty bad. Once again, I forgot to take any 'before' pictures :mad:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You did a phenomenal job on restoring that one!!! And your no name walnut grips look like a good match for that gun. Wish you knew who made them as I would love a set of them.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Thats a nice Speed Six, I love the 4" Speed Sixes! I have a few ex-security Sixes that are pretty beat, but I haven't done any rehab on them:) They are all great shooters and have very few rounds through them, they just saw a lot of holster time and rough handling. Many I got for about $200 because they were so thrashed looking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You did a phenomenal job on restoring that one!!! And your no name walnut grips look like a good match for that gun. Wish you knew who made them as I would love a set of them.
I got them off e-bay last year, so the seller was still in my buying history. Look for a seller named "skkustoms". He doesn't have any Ruger DA grips listed currently, but maybe he'll tell you his supplier where he got them from last year. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I got them off e-bay last year, so the seller was still in my buying history. Look for a seller named "skkustoms". He doesn't have any Ruger DA grips listed currently, but maybe he'll tell you his supplier where he got them from last year. Good Luck!
Thank you!!! I will save that seller so I can keep trying.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Beautiful finish! That looks better than new.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts