Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks good. I have the same gun in stainless steel. It was/is the only Speed Six I have ever seen in person so I jumped on it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
love these revolvers, the speed sixes. there's a blue one, 38 sp only, sitting in a local dealers shelf....but it's pretty tired looking. I own a stainless myself. Thanks for posting the photo.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I've got two. The Six Series guns are excellent revolvers and still have a huge following. Becoming very hard to find a nice one.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've had a bunch of Service-Six's over the years and they are great guns.

Back in the mid 1980's, when the Six series Rugers were still in production, you could always find both new & used ones in display cases at gun shops. They generally sold for less than comparable Smith & Wesson's either new or used. I usually had a Service-Six on hand but let my last one go in some trade several years ago. When I went to replace it, I found that the Service-Six/Security-Six/Speed-Six models had become a bit scarce.(and expensive, the secret was out !!)

After some searching I found a couple of stainless Service-Six's, which I now know to hold onto.

However I couldn't find a decent Speed-Six. When that pristine blued one showed up I knew I'd better grab it. I'll replenish my "gun fund" and continue looking for a stainless one.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Wow those are some beautiful looking revolvers!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sweet revolver. Love the blue, with a bobbed hammer and tyler grip. Doesnt get much better for CC.
I have two Speed sixes, both with 2 3/4" barrels. SS
One in 9 MM one in 357 mag.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Small break in the rain. Got a few rounds through the Speed-Six today and was rewarded with an enjoyable experience. They really are great guns!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Anyone else notice Norman Reedus was packing a Speed Six in the most recent Walking Dead episode? I thought it was pretty cool. Same color as the OP's but pretty sure it still had a hammer spur.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I really like the 6 series of guns. They seem to have very good proportions
. I'm not a huge fan of all the writing on the barrel. How hard is it to remove?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I really like the 6 series of guns. They seem to have very good proportions
. I'm not a huge fan of all the writing on the barrel. How hard is it to remove?
The older Sixes did not have the bill board writing on the barrels. My .38 Spl (pic posted above) has a clean barrel and dates to 1977. The 9mm is 1981. Has the round blast shield but also the bill board barrel. I don't know the exact date when the warning on the barrel was introduced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the warning started after 1974? Pictured is Speed Six 357 with a 151 series and no warning. For its age it does show some character which i like, and i enjoy carrying it. .. flawless in shooting.

Attachments

·
Just minding my business
376 Posts
Sweet pics y'all. I'd love to pick up one or two some day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I picked mine up in the mid 80's at a pawn shop for $160.00. I had about 20 guns at the time and eventually wound up selling all but 3 as the result of a nasty divorce. A Beretta 92SB, a S&W 629 .44 mag and my Speed-Six .357. This Speed-Six has been my nightstand and camping gun for more than 30 years and still is. I recently began collecting firearms again and have accumulated quite a few, but my Speed-Six is still my "go to" and feels like an old friend who never lets you down. If I had to chose just one gun, this would easily be my choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I picked mine up in the mid 80's at a pawn shop for $160.00. I had about 20 guns at the time and eventually wound up selling all but 3 as the result of a nasty divorce. A Beretta 92SB, a S&W 629 .44 mag and my Speed-Six .357. This Speed-Six has been my nightstand and camping gun for more than 30 years and still is. I recently began collecting firearms again and have accumulated quite a few, but my Speed-Six is still my "go to" and feels like an old friend who never lets you down. If I had to chose just one gun, this would easily be my choice.

This is my favorite iteration or 'look' of this pistol and I have a twin to yours.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts