Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the following post on the "other" Ruger site. I'm quickly learning that half of what I read is crap and as I've received sound advice here I thought I'd get your take on this, they were discussing Bianchi speed strips. Is there any logic to this? The following is a copy/paste:

I've seen a couple reports on a Custom smith's page (don't recall which one) that these "speed Strips" can ruin the crane and frame on a revolver...the force of stripping the round into the cylinder causes side forces that the guns don't like...I won't use them due to this.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
grant cunningham on his sight talks about speedloaders and has mentioned seeing troubles when "maxfire" speedloaders had been used.

As for me, i've not seen a gun damaged by speed strips---for one thing, when i use one, i am holding that cylinger in place with my other hand.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I haven't used them (mostly because I simply can't find them!), but seriously, compare the forces involved there - and it seems you almost HAVE to be holding the cylinder with your other hand - with the violence of the gun being fired and the impact on ALL the gun's parts therein.

I like the "I won't use them due to this." Can you imagine retaining every bit of info you've ever read in or about some 'report' and applying a rule to never do something based on it? We'd never shoot a gun or drive a car or light a stove!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Cwap!!!! Been using them since the 70's...no problem-weak hand's turning(holding) the cylinder.....EddieF...Dillon's catalog has them...if you can get past the babes!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It will be a pretty poorly made revolver that gets ruined by using speed strips, I use them all the time in my Speed Six.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,477 Posts
Checkmate, You need to spend some time at a public range. These Bozos that can ruin a perfectly good revolver with a speed strip are the same guys that could demo a $200,000 house with a $.49 screwdriver. You would not believe what came in my gunsmith shop over the years.

Not to worry, speed strips are about as safe to use as any other accessory. When loading, hold on to the cylinder, not the frame and you will never flex the crane or do any damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts