Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got more motivated to reload for the 44 special. I now have a 44 special revolver and more interested in reloading options. I found about 120 Speer 200 grain Gold Dot HP on the shelf. Grabbed my notebook and found that I altered the original load and could not find the data to back it up. Spent a couple nights trying to backtrack to figure out why I changed the load. The original load was 6.3 to 6.8 of Universal. I loaded the last batch at 6.5 grains, which shot fairly well at 25'. What surprised my in researching the problem, I could not find any data for the 200 grain GDHP. I was using the Speer #13. I checked online and my Hodgdon manuals. No GDHP. Now I can't figure out how I got the first load data. I did see where I altered my data with another 200 grain Speer bullet. Using that data I noted a 7.3 grain charge of Universal. I did not load the bullets and won't until I figure this out. I'm exploring coated lead options with another member. I've not loaded any lead in 20 years. New experience is welcome since the coated bullets are more available than the jacketed stuff I usually use. My question is twofold, is my original load safe at 6.3 of Universal with the 200 grain GDHP and can anyone direct me to a loading source for that bullet. Thank you.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The above chart has a date of 2004.
My Speer #15 (2018) manual shows FAR less charge grains for #4427 than shown above.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Speer Reloading Manual #14
44 S&W Special ( Handgun Section)
200 gr. GDHP SB
H Universal
start - 7.0 grs. @ 842 fps
max. - 7.6 grs. @ 950 fps

Note this data is for jacketed gold dot not coated lead .

Loads of 6.3 grains to 6.8 grains are below the starting loads shown in speer data .

Don't know if it makes a difference but the powder is listed as H Universal .
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your responses. It does appear my original load might be under minimum. This is a good resource for the next time I reload this bullet. Too bad they are not available now. I am using the jacketed bullet. And yes, you are correct on the H. Universal reference. Still makes me curious how I came up with that load data.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thank you so much for your responses. It does appear my original load might be under minimum. This is a good resource for the next time I reload this bullet. Too bad they are not available now. I am using the jacketed bullet. And yes, you are correct on the H. Universal reference. Still makes me curious how I came up with that load data.
You probably couldn't find load data for that bullet and compared it to a similar bullet and went from there.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probably couldn't find load data for that bullet and compared it to a similar bullet and went from there.
You're probably correct. Something I've since learned not to do. I found another notebook with the page rammer jammer shared tucked in the back. Now I know how I got to 7.3 with that bullet. Must have worked up the load at some point and didn't make a reference in my notebook where I got the data. Since I do occasionally use Speer bullets, it looks like time to get a newer manual. I think it is also time to start re-writing my notes with the loads I frequently use. I've updated and scratched out test loads for years. Thanks for helping out with my senior moment. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
You're probably correct. Something I've since learned not to do. I found another notebook with the page rammer jammer shared tucked in the back. Now I know how I got to 7.3 with that bullet. Must have worked up the load at some point and didn't make a reference in my notebook where I got the data. Since I do occasionally use Speer bullets, it looks like time to get a newer manual. I think it is also time to start re-writing my notes with the loads I frequently use. I've updated and scratched out test loads for years. Thanks for helping out with my senior moment. :)
I don't know why, but for some reason I didn't make a note of every detail, thinking I would just remember what I was doing if I looked at the data I already jotted down. And I don't know why I would think that with my history of forgetting why I am even opening the refrigerator door sometimes. lol But I had 3 loads of 308 that I narrowed it down too and whichever was the best I would pick that one as my go to load. So I picked the one I did my best with, then made 40 of them that night, didn't write a single thing down and what made it worse is that I put them in a box that already had some rounds that I didn't fire. So when it came time to fire them, I wasn't sure where they were cause I didn't mark the box and when I found them wasn't sure which ones were which so I had to weigh each one individually. I have to remember to make a note to take better notes. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts