Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot my brothers new/used 22/45 MKII the other day and it spits back in your face, good thing I had my shooting glasses on. I noticed it occasionally in slow fire but in rapid fire it gets bad, completely unacceptable not to mention uncomfortable. I have seen revolvers spit but never had this problem with a bottom feeder. He left it with me to look at but I haven't had a chance yet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys someone has to have some ideas. I may have some time today to get it out. The only thing I can really think of is maybe the bolt spring is weak allowing it open too soon causing hot gas to be blown back.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe no one has any ideas because it is such a rare thing! Your idea about the spring sounds logical, but have some patience until enough members have had a chance to see this.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Don't know about an auto...
Only time i had something like that happen was with an old 22 semi rifle and too much lube.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Reb, The first thing I would check is to see if the "bolt" is going fully into battery. (The bolt face flat against the barrel). I have seen this symptom in the past due to a very weak recoil spring. Also "debris" in the bolt face/barrel area. All it takes is a slight bit of foreign matter to prevent the bolt from fully closing, causing the "spitting". Often times the firing pin still has enough "reach" to ignite the cartridge. Check this out and if this is your "finding" I would give the gun a "good" cleaning and also "replace" the recoil spring assembly. A very weak spring can cause the slightest bit of debris to keep the bolt from fully closing..................Dick

·
Registered
78 Posts
My browning buckmark .22's have this problem. I have never had this happen to me on a Ruger .22 Mark II but my Buckmark spits when the chamber gets dirty from real cheap .22 ammo. I never have the problem with cci blazzers or other decent .22 ammo. but when i use american eagles cheap .22's I get alot of powder burn outside the chambers or even powder spit. I believe alot of it has to do with amunition manufacturing processes. If the powder has had too much moisture exposure before its loaded the powder may not burn fast enough. Anyway for autos I only use top quality ammo anymore. Helps keep the rounds from jamming also. Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts