Ruger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
As a side note, the 'case' is really only there for one purpose. To hold the bullet, powder, and primer together as a unit. A big step over how it was done when you had to pour powder into the chamber, seat the bullet, and cap the nipple (a primer). Secondary purpose is to seal the chamber, so that the gasses go forward -- now that the back of cylinder is 'open'. The case doesn't contribute at all to 'holding' the very high pressure. The chamber wall is taking all the pressure. So when a case splits, no big deal. I've had a few cases split over the years. Ya shrug ... and toss. Same with split case mouths caused by over working. Toss.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
...................... So when a case splits, no big deal. I've had a few cases split over the years. Ya shrug ... and toss. Same with split case mouths caused by over working. Toss.
Maybe not "toss." Cases with split case mouths are still good, such as the .45 Colt, as they can be shortened into "new" rounds. That is how I make my ".45 Special" a.k.a. ".45 Xtra Short" and/or ".45 M1906." Though I've not done so, the .357 Magnum/.38 Special can become the .38 Short Colt.

There is a limit on just how short the case can become, though.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I appreciate your counsel as well as the counsel from others!! The recipe I used and have been using for years is printed on the front of the Titegroup powder container. I weigh each charge before putting it in the case. The brass has been reloaded about 4-6 times. I agree with you that it was likely a double charge with the magnum primer that did the damage. Using other powders that occupy more space in the case will make it harder to accidentally load a double charge. I tried but stopped using H110 because of the occasional squib load. I like using the gun for its magnum capabilities so I'll try 2400 in the future.
Thanks Again to all !!!
View attachment 153920
You used the wrong bullet . 125 gr. Hornady XTP is shown , a jacketed bullet ... you used a softer 125 gr. Plated bullet ...the softer bullet expands easier and creates higher pressure .They may both be 125 grains in weight but A Hornady XTP is Not the same as a plated bullet ... Details Matter !
I would also think the velocity of that load exceeds the limit most plated bullet manufacturers place on their plated bullets but it wasn't shown in your load data ...I believe most are around 1200 max . and your load was at nearly 1500 fps (1497 fps) ...just too hot .
Gary

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Maybe not "toss." Cases with split case mouths are still good, such as the .45 Colt, as they can be shortened into "new" rounds.
True. But for me it isn't worth the time and effort. I'll probably never use all the .45 Colt cases that I have now.... And if I do, Starline will probably still be in business :) .

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,956 Posts
So it appears .... wrong bullet, wrong primer, definitely the wrong powder, yet the OP lived to tell about it! IMHO, magnum cartridges and fast burning powder are a recipe for disaster.

I hope every member that reloads will read this thread and hopefully learn from it. Rugers are about the strongest single action revolvers on the market but that doesn't make them bomb proof.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts