Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I got myself a spotting scope, now I need a tripod. The scope is a Celestron Ultima 20-60x80 and weighs a little less than a prosumer video camera. Of course, one of my primary concerns is stability.

At first I was looking at table top tripods, and found a few that look acceptable but the leg spread leaves a lot of the scope hanging well beyond the reach of those tiny legs. Then I came across this....

It is a mid size tripod made by Benro, and as you can see, it reeeeeeally stretches it's legs. This is accomplished with a three position locking leg swivel. It appears that it would be good for bench, prone or sitting. I'm not so sure about it's stability fully extended though. It does seem very stable and versatile for almost any shooting position.

This gizmo sells for $70 (shipped) on Amazon, which seems very reasonable. It also averages 4.5 stars in the reviews. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this. Before I do though, I'd like to ask something.

What does your spotting scope sit on?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I use an older Bushnell Tactical with an "ambi" head equivalent to their Titanium model of today. Also using the same Ultima scope that you have.

·
Registered
673 Posts
When I was in college in 1972, I was taking a class in photojournalism. When the professor was asked what tripod we should buy, he said, "the heaviest tripod you will actually carry."

I bought a fairly heavy Vivitar aluminum tripod. 46 years later, I still have it and it still works. These days I use it for my Vortex spotting scope. The scope/tripod combination can hold stable in a 10 mph wind, allowing me to easily see bullet holes at 200 yards. Last summer it came in very handy as we were in the mountains shooting soup can lids at slightly over 300 yards. With the 6-18X scope on my rifle, I could not see if I was hitting the target. With a spotter using my spotting scope and my old tripod, we were able to confirm each shot.

When looking for a spotting scope tripod, think of it as a long term investment. Also, if you plan to use it in the field, as well as at the range, a table top or a bench mounted tripod will not be what you want.

With an on-line search, I found the same model as my tripod on E-Bay. That price is less far less than I paid many years ago when gasoline was thirty one cents a gallon.

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVITAR-PRO...468183?hash=item4d40e89d17:g:-kgAAOSwyjBW5LaS

A light weight free standing tripod might be useful indoors. The minute you take it outside it is useless.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I use a full size tripod standing next to the shooting bench and I don't mess around with the cheap stuff. It's a Bogen/Manfrotto or better. Have learned from painful and very expensive experience to keep the spotting scope off the bench. Not as convenient, but sooner or later, I've have managed to either knock a scope off the bench or even blow a scope over and off the bench from the concussion and recoil of heavy handguns. I can be something of a klutz, though. A bench mount might work for others. Just not a good idea for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts