Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Springfield M1A rifles lately. I like the old M1 Garand rifles,but dislike the price for a gun of that age,and the 8 round box/strip clips that it uses,so I've been drawn to the detachable magazine M1A rifle.
Does the M1A use a specific magazine,or is it a M14 magazine that fits it? Anybody have one?
Feedback?
JL

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK,seems I overlooked a few things in my "Googling". It looks like the M1A is a Semi-Automatic M14 with a few slight changes, and M14 magazines will fit it perfectly.
JL

·
Registered
239 Posts
M14 mags work fine in it as it is just a Semi auto M14

·
Registered
31 Posts
The M1A or M14 is an awesome rifle. I shot one for Uncle Sam for awhile (national match rifle). very accurate, reliable and fun gun! Still they are very pricey and if you just want a tack driver get a boltgun and save $500. If you can find it, try M118 Lake City ammo, which is what the national match guns are designed to shoot. good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the small, medium and large versions of the M1A (SOCOM 16, Squad Scout, and Standard)

Be careful, once you get started they get a little addictive.

As a result my AR's all have a layer of dust on them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I never knew the M1A came in 7.62X51? Always thought they were also .30/06.

Iowegan, how come you talk of the "military version" of the .308 Win as 7.62X51? My knowledge says it is the same cartridge by a different name. Europeans call it by the metric denomination and Americans and English by the proper name. (My South African made Musgrave bolt action hunting rifle has 7.62x51 stamped on the barrel)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never knew the M1A came in 7.62X51? Always thought they were also .30/06.

Iowegan, how come you talk of the "military version" of the .308 Win as 7.62X51? My knowledge says it is the same cartridge by a different name. Europeans call it by the metric denomination and Americans and English by the proper name. (My South African made Musgrave bolt action hunting rifle has 7.62x51 stamped on the barrel)
The M1 Garand is .30-06,and the M1A to my knowledge is only .308/7.62x51.
JL

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is correct - M1A (Semi version of M14) is .308/7.62 x 51.

Evidently, the M14 surplus was never released for civilian sale like the M1s were, obviously due to full auto capabilities.

I guess SA just marketed it as a better M1.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
The 308 Winchester is the civilian version of the 7.62 NATO or 7.62x51. Though the cartridges are nearly identical there are some significant differences. For openers, all military headstamped cases tend to be thicker so their internal capacity is a bit less. Max powder charges should be reduced a little or you will exceed SAAMI max chamber pressure. Also, the primers in military cases are staked so you must swage the primer pockets before reloading the first time.

The main difference between the civilian and military cartridges is bullet weight. Civilian 308 ammo with heavy bullets (more than 150 grains) can damage M-14s and Springfield M1s unless they are modified to accept them. Civilian 308 Win guns will shoot 7.62s just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts