Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Glad to be new to the forum. At the range this morning and ran a few different kinds of ammo. Went to the CCI Stingers (which I've shot many times with no issues), and had a huge explosion in the action. I was rapid firing 3-5 shot strings. I noticed the muffled pop of a squib load but due to the rate of fire was not able to withhold a follow up round. BOOM! Huge blast in my face which was covered in powder residue. Step back and took a look. The extractor and extractor plunger were gone, somewhere in the grass. The bolt had come back and slammed forward about a half inch from being in battery, caught on a shredded case (looked like a peeled banana). Took a cleaning rod and the barrel is clear. Inspected the bore when I got home and I don't see any damage. So it seemed pretty clear what had happened. My question is this. Would a squib load be able to cycle the action? I've shot quiets and it obviously doesn't. I assume the squib load explosion would be much less powerful than the quiets. But it's obvious the bolt ejected the case and chambered the next round. Could it have fired out of battery? Is the 10/22 bolt capable of that? I'm questioning the whole experience, even wondering if I heard that distinct squib sound but I'm certain I did. Here's the kicker. My buddy has a 22LR Pistol . He grabs a new box of my Stingers and goes through a mag. Loads the next mag and there it is. Another squib. This time the bullet was lodged. I was watching and it wasn't that muffled pop. It just sounded like a slightly less powerful round. He would have fired into the squib load but felt a huge powder blast in his face. These boxes of 50 rounds I bought came in a brick of 10 boxes. I have no intention of using any more of the ammo. The fact it happened 2x tells me there was a bad batch of ammo that left the factory. I've talked to people that say that never happens but it's pretty clear it does. E-mailed CCI and the vendor I purchased it from so we'll see what they say. Apologize for this being so long and thanks so much for any input.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,867 Posts
It sounds as if the squib loads were cycling the actions just fine in the rifle and the pistol. The pressure generated wasn't enough to get the bullet all the way down the bore, but the obstruction kept pressure high enough to push the bolt back far enough to eject and feed a new round. Firing another round with a blocked barrel would have been really ugly with anything larger than a .22 rimfire. Glad no one was injured and hopefully there's no serious damage to the gun.

·
Registered
232 Posts
perhaps i'm wrong, but from what i have read, Stingers can be used in a 10/22 but feeding issues can happen? (manual sez hypervelocity ammo is OK)

i save my Stingers for my bolt-action .22...

p.s. i once foolishly fired a mag of Stingers in my new Taurus PT-22 and a round blew the slide off...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
968 Posts
Interesting story, but scary....thanks for the warning.

And welcome to the forum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,053 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hello from Illinois.

Glad there were no injuries!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Welcome to the form. It does sound like a bad batch of ammo. Interested to see what CCI will have to say. I would contact Ruger as well and see if they want to inspect and maybe repair your rifle. I shoot Stingers often, they do fine in the MK II, and it my 10/22. Do not and I repeat do not try Stingers in a Taurus TX 22. Nothing but ugly. Best of luck with dilemma and please keep us posted.

·
Banned
292 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have the production number on those boxes would ya?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Things like this can happen , might want to slow down the rapid fire just a bit .
This happened to me with Winchester ammo several years ago but I wasn't ripping off strings so I heard and felt the difference in report and recoil and stopped ! When I looked down the bore .... no daylight ! No rod that day so went home and pushed the bullet out there. Lucky I had no damage just an experience I will not forget .

Carry a range rod now and pay close attention to report, recoil and holes in the target .
Be careful , only you can prevent accidents .
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts