Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger American Rimfire® Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I am looking for a .22LR for squirrel. I am down to the Savage Mark II and the Ruger American, and I am leaning heavy to the Ruger. I have heard that it is finicky, but that sounds questionable being a bolt action.

Anyone out there use a Ruger American for a Small Game gun? If so, I would love to hear about your experience with this rifle. :cool:

Thanks in advance.
I am looking for a mat blue model for squirrel & rabbit, will mainly feed it high velocity HP rounds and Remington Subsonics

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.........I haven't heard the Rugers called finicky. How so?
Me either, which is why I was skeptical. What I read was that it they didn't like Truncated rounds like Remington. I also read that the American 22 didn't like extended mags, but that desn;t concern me as I will only use the 10rnd rotery mag in the squirrel / rabbit woods. So, thought I would ask here.

I am heavily leaning to the Ruger. I like the look, the fold down rear sight, the magazine design, and the bolt release, as well as the location of the safety. My plan is to pick one up right after the NY. Last couple of years, we have been getting wild strawberries blooming in the last 2 weeks of February. Guaranteed to fund a bunny in those filed edges. I have on old Savage Mark I, but my son has pretty much laid claim to it; and that is just fine with me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Savage costs less than the Ruger. Is price not a factor? I can't speak on behalf of either, because I have a Marlin. I'm curious though, why you are only considering Ruger or Savage?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a CMP Mossberg M44 that is designed for target shooting. I s bolt action has a seven round magazine. At one hundred yards using just about any 22 or I will put ten rounds in the ten ring from a rest using SR1 targets. I have never found a better, more reliable 22 rifle. The only downside is finding magazines.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I have the Ruger American in .22 with a 3-9x40 scope on it. I have shot CCI, Armscor, Federal, Aguila, and some 40-year old Winchester that was in my Dad's basement that I purchased when I was in high school. All of it shot just fine.

I shot that ammo out of both the 10-round and 25-round Ruger magazines. And, with a 10-round mag I can totally obliterate a one-inch bullseye at 50 yards using the scope and a rest. Not bragging because that is the accuracy of the rifle, not the shooter.

I hope that helps you make your choice.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You can't go wrong with the American. I have 2, one in .22LR and one in .17HMR. Both are scoped, Leupold and Nikon. They both are more accurate than I am, and the LR version likes CCI mini-mag HP's and the .17HMR likes CCI GamePoints.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Savage costs less than the Ruger. Is price not a factor? I can't speak on behalf of either, because I have a Marlin. I'm curious though, why you are only considering Ruger or Savage?
I have owned Marlin in the past, and currently own Remington. I simply have not been able to lay my hands on a Marlin like I am looking for, and Remington doesn't make what I am looking for at the moment. I passed my old Savage Mark I down to my son, and it is a stellar rifle. Probably the best .22LR I personally have ever shot, and I really like the looks and feel of the Ruger American Rifles. I shoot more .22LR than any other round. (When I can get my hands on .22LR) :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts