Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
410 over under oiled up.
Also like to use the RAR 22 lr with a cheap Simmons scope

410 by far is safer with other hunters on public reserves and I have taken a pheasant or two with a 410. If the shot is right, let more fly off than fire unless very close.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Can't wait to get out there myself, I love squirrel hunting. I just haven't been able to get out there yet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wish I could here in my yard in NJ. Those little bastards are a pain in the *** :mad:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I've been shooting them off my fence with an air rifle. I don't eat them, though.

Jim
Don't have a fence, but I do shoot them with an air rifle. Squirrel season is 12 months per year. They are destructive little rodents. I don't eat them either, but I notice the carcass disappears from the yard overnight. Something is having a midnight snack. :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I know there's a season for rodents, but why? Don't get it.
Is it to protect the squirrels from the 10 year old with the BB gun that doesn't really care about seasons?
Doubt it. Seasons? Kid will shoot at anything that moves.
Do people in some places over eat the squirrel population?
I've had it. Not one of my favs, but protein is protein, when you need it.
Usually they get left where they fall or booted into the bushes.

There are literally gangs of the little bastards loping around the property in herds, harassing anything that moves. Robins, Deer. They don't seem to care.
Have had the whole gang start loping thru the yard towards me a few times.
Stupid rodents.
Fair game if it sets foot in my yard.
Have three Redtail Hawks in the area that think that way, too.
Seen them snatch them right off the side of a tree.
Flying squirrels. Gotta love it.
Drama from the deck with a cold one.
If the hawks don't thin them out, we start sticking arrows in the yard. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Those of you who have never eat squirrel , you have no idea what squirrel stew taste like ! All I can say is your missing a meal of a lifetime !

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't have a fence, but I do shoot them with an air rifle. Squirrel season is 12 months per year. They are destructive little rodents. I don't eat them either, but I notice the carcass disappears from the yard overnight. Something is having a midnight snack. :)
Most likely a wild cat in your neighborhood that multiplies multiple times a year and then they go around the neighborhood marking everything with their urine so as to mark their territory . When we have problems with wild cats we set traps and take them to the country and let them go . Cats' eat anything including their own vomit :eek: !

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wish I were able to go squirrel hunting but living in W.Texas the only place you find squirrels are in town . Now E.Texas is loaded and has great places to go hunt .

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Think I'm gunna get a few this year...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
This thread got be thinking about my .22s. My model 60 has been my go to squirrel rifle followed by a 10/22. Either wlll get the job done easily. However, this year I am going to take the new CZ 455 American for it's first outing. I'm used to NC squirrels which are much larger than the little critters around these parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our season opened here in Indiana, Aug. 15th. I've been hunting them pretty hard. Bought a new 10/22, last spring, and put a 4x leupold, I had laying around, on board. Anymore, at my age, squirrel hunting is my favorite outdoor activity. So far this year, I've shot 25. Here's a few pics.

As far as eating, if you haven't, you don't know what you're missing.

fried

squirrel pot pie.

Mad Dog

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
That pot pie looks good! I like Brunswick stew made with squirrel vs chicken.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Squirrel stew, is one of my favorites, can't say as I've had any lately though, out here in these parts, about all you see is the ground squirrels, which are a pain in the butt. However back in UP Michigan and N/E Wisconsin a little strol in the woods usually gave a body a little excitement, carrying a .22LR.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
THere doesn't seem to be any season on that they do to my feeders and a close friend's barn. Season? I got your season right here!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts