Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read every online review I could find and many posts here about the SR-10 and can't really find anything bad about them, aside from a few hiccups during "break in". I've had a Glock 20 and currently have a G29 that I've downloaded my ammo for recoil management but I've always wanted a 10 on the 1911 platform so I can get some higher performance out of the cartridge. Every Ruger I've ever managed to damage the company has "made things right" so am I GTG, no recalls or anything ? I'm not looking to load anything exceeding reloading manual "max" loads, period, and I'm a very experienced handloader. I can't afford a Dan Wesson or Coonan but is the SR a suitable, affordable substitute ?

TIA Pete

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
1. I have an SR1911 in .45 acp. It’s really nice.

2. I also have yet to see anything bad about the 10mm model.

Ruger makes excellent 1911’s, and you get a lot for your money.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For half the price of the DW or Coonan I'd have to agree with you about the value aspect Dittto ! Literally every review I've read praises it's accuracy and reliability so I really want this to be my next 10. I'm dying to see what my loads do at 50yds and maybe beyond...

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
If you haven’t already done so, watch Hickok45’s video on it. Also, Tim at the Military Arms Channel has a good one. Both are very positive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Several hundred rounds thru mine with no malfunctions not ammo or magazine related. It is probably the most accurate pistol I’ve ever owned except a T/C Contender. Maybe...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I replaced my front sight with a Dawson fiber optic which is better suited for my vision. Their Ruger dovetail specific sight only required minor fitting with a little wet-n-dry on a flat surface. Another post had noted a slide stop failure which he cured with an Ed Brown replacement (MIM issue??). Just for peace of mine I bought one for mine and it was truly drop in. Felt recoil is less than my G-20 and the difference between the 10 and .45 in the 1911 configuration is not all that different IMHO, it's very manageable. No regrets for me, Ruger did their homework with this one.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have had my Ruger SR1911 10mm for about 6 months and put over 400 rounds without a problem. Rear sight was a little off from the factory and I corrected it with my laser bore sighter. Next time out it shot great, nice thing is it uses the same magazines as my older stainless Colt delta which I have plenty of.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
John Taffin just did a review of the Ruger SR1911 10mm in the Jan./Feb. 2018 issue of Handgunner Magazine. Instead of returning the gun back to Ruger he sent them a check for it.....that's the sign he thought a lot of it. "it came to me with a 4 lb. trigger pull , smooth without creep "
Factory guns with 4 lb. triggers are sweet.
He gave it a 10+ . The best factory load grouped 3/4" . The worst factory 1 3/4" .
The other 4 factory loads averaged 1 1/8". The gun can shoot !
Gary

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have owned four 10 mm semi auto pistols in the past and currently own a Colt Delta Elite and a Ruger SR 1911 10mm and I can honestly say I don't shoot my Delta Elite anymore after getting the Ruger 10mm. It is exceptionally accurate and is more comfortable and easier to shoot. Am I glad I bought it, yes very much.
Don't think about it, just buy it.

Steve..........

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought one last week and have two range trips on it, both times along with a Sig 220 10mm. Shot eight different reloads and some Sig 180 factory ammo from a rest at 15 yards at an indoor range. The groups ranged from 2 1/8" down to 3/4". The Sig averaged 1.63" and the Ruger 1.625". The Ruger favored 180 and 200gr bullets, the Sig worked with all bullet weights from 135 to 200gr. The best single group was 3/4" with a 180 HAP Blue Dot in the Ruger. The Ruger also had the worst group, at 2 1/8' with a 135gr load. Can't wait to take these two to an outdoor range where I do better with bright sunlight.

The Ruger had zero cycling malfunctions with all 220 rounds although the slide wouldn't lock open with one mild load. I'm impressed with the Ruger, especially at this price point. The trigger is crisp but a bit heavy. Finish has no flaws and as many have noted, there are no obvious tool marks inside the frame or slide. I think the sights are good, they were only slightly off.

The only change I'm doing is putting on some thin VZ grips along with the shorter grip bushings needed. I'll wait on the trigger. I will likely get used to it as it wears in. These SR 1911's are a bargain. They are not that much more money than many lesser 1911's.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I got mine back in Sept 17 on a "pre hunting" sale at a LGS for $729. Could not resist, plus got a Ruger shirt and other stuff (yes, more mags would have been nicer).

Anyway, so far I am impressed for the price. I put on some stocks I got off shopruger.com back in 2013 and put on my SR1911-CMD at the time. Ruger called them "Delta Grips" and I told myself if Ruger every made a 10mm then they had to go on that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an older thread, but thought I would share my experiences. Bought this beauty a few weeks ago having owned several other rugers and 1911's. Didnt have a 10mm! Upon receipt, took it apart, did my normal clean and heavy on the lube for a few hundred rounds. Lucas gun oil. (I run new metal guns very wet for a while)
Shooing Sellier and Bellot 180gr. First mag, feed 3rds fine, then locked back. Dropped slide and fed the remainder. 2nd mag, locked back twice. This went on in various round counts for an entire box. At home, recleaned, manually cycled 4 full mags without issue. Even loaded up a Wilson 45 mag and it cycled all 8 fine. Back to the range, still locks the slide back on both mags. Ran the wilson 45 mag, same thing. I paid close attn to my left hand just in case it was nudging it.
Gonna call CS in the morning.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I've read every online review I could find and many posts here about the SR-10 and can't really find anything bad about them, aside from a few hiccups during "break in". I've had a Glock 20 and currently have a G29 that I've downloaded my ammo for recoil management but I've always wanted a 10 on the 1911 platform so I can get some higher performance out of the cartridge. Every Ruger I've ever managed to damage the company has "made things right" so am I GTG, no recalls or anything ? I'm not looking to load anything exceeding reloading manual "max" loads, period, and I'm a very experienced handloader. I can't afford a Dan Wesson or Coonan but is the SR a suitable, affordable substitute ?

TIA Pete
I have a SR 1911 10 MM and it is really a dream to shoot. I have tried all kinds of ammo including Buffalo Bore and the gun does not flinch or balk. Recoil seems to absorbed pretty well and is quite manageable. Can tell is built solid. I would not hesitate recommending the Ruger 10mm to anyone. Good Luck. The target is at 25 yards and the first time out I was happy with the accuracy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I would try some different ammo.

·
Registered
2 Posts

TIA Pete
I own a G20 and a first gen Delta, both enhanced with mods geared toward IPSC/USPSA competition. All the features found on the SR are now part of my beloved Delta but for the ramped barrel. In my opinion Ruger did all the right things when building a 10mm 1911. I want one too! Handloading IPSC major loads leads to much shooting fun. I have experienced Ruger's stellar Customer Service as well. A .41 Blackhawk and an AR556 reside with me as well. Yay Ruger!

·
Registered
548 Posts
This is one of my favorite topics in which to contribute, but it's another Zombie thread, so I'll resist and won't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts