Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't want to mess with the Novak sights on my SR1911 as the afford me a decent degree of accuracy, but I am considering changing the sights for something more 'visible'. My question is this: if I unscrew the grub screw will the rear sights move freely or will they still need 'tapping' off with a nylon hammer or similar?

The pistol is as it came from the factory, save for replaced grips, and I don't want to upset what are decent sights by fiddling with them.

Your thoughts appreciated..:)

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
they need some encouragement to move, they won't slide under finger pressure (I used a sight pusher)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I tapped on mine with a brass rod and the rear sight wouldn't move. I had a gunsmith press it off and then press on the adjustable rear sight now offered on shopruger.com and also made by Novak. He said the new rear sight is also fit/pressed on very tightly. So, he indicated that if any sight adjustment is needed that the front sight be drifted rather than the rear sight.

Haven't had a chance to get to the range and try out the new rear sight.

Bayou52

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I tapped on mine with a brass rod and the rear sight wouldn't move. I had a gunsmith press it off and then press on the adjustable rear sight now offered on shopruger.com and also made by Novak. He said the new rear sight is also fit/pressed on very tightly. So, he indicated that if any sight adjustment is needed that the front sight be drifted rather than the rear sight.

Haven't had a chance to get to the range and try out the new rear sight.

Bayou52
front site on mine was in even tighter than the rear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts