Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I tried them, at 21 feet they penetrate the 5 th water filled milk jug with no expansion

That's 20 -25" of penetration, or a pass thru on most frames.

If you want to use this pistol for CCW, just use the CCI Blazer RN or Mini-Mag, both 40 grain lead bullets, and save $$$$$

·
Registered
102 Posts
Testing with ballistic gel is a bit more credible than just milk jugs.

You won't get anywhere near the rated 1435fps velocity out of the SR22 3.5" barrel... but the Velocitor is still the scariest thing you can shoot out of it for defense.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posting a video with a rifle when I clearly stated pistol is doing nobody any good:D

Conceal Carry a Ruger 10/22 and see where it lands you.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Testing with ballistic gel is a bit more credible than just milk jugs.

You won't get anywhere near the rated 1435fps velocity out of the SR22 3.5" barrel... but the Velocitor is still the scariest thing you can shoot out of it for defense.
How did your more credible ballistic gel test do?:p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Check the current issue of American Rifleman, magazine or online. A lot of handgun ammo was tested, including .22LR out of short barreled guns. In a .22LR through a 2-1/2" barrel, Velociters go deeper (16" IIRC) and Stingers expand more. That's through four layers of denim into 10% ballistic gel. Shot placement and shots on target are obviously critical with this light a caliber. I'm not afraid to carry my Walther TPH with seven Velociters for one of my CCW options, 2-3/4" barrel and capable of very accurate fire.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the current issue of American Rifleman, magazine or online. A lot of handgun ammo was tested, including .22LR out of short barreled guns. In a .22LR through a 2-1/2" barrel, Velociters go deeper (16" IIRC) and Stingers expand more. That's through four layers of denim into 10% ballistic gel. Shot placement and shots on target are obviously critical with this light a caliber. I'm not afraid to carry my Walther TPH with seven Velociters for one of my CCW options, 2-3/4" barrel and capable of very accurate fire.
Have a link there Geez?

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everything I've seen is that the Velocitor doesn't expand out of a 3.5" barrel, which is what the OP stated.

Everyone here keeps tossing out the 2.5" and 5" barrel stuff.:confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know I only have 75 or so posts, so I can't know what I'm talking about, but I've been shooting CCI MinMags since 1968 or so.:p

·
Registered
102 Posts
Everything I've seen is that the Velocitor doesn't expand out of a 3.5" barrel, which is what the OP stated.

Everyone here keeps tossing out the 2.5" and 5" barrel stuff.:confused:
Yea perhaps velocitors won't do as much damage coming out of a short 3.5" barrel. But given the choice, i'd still rather have them loaded in a ccw instead of regular lead round nose. I'll give the velocitors the benefit of doubt. True, they cost more, but it's not like i'm buying a whole case of them.... just a few boxes.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Anyone seen any kind of testing on the CCI Segmented .22 rounds?

Hunters seem to think it does TOO much damage to small game.

Might make a mess out of two legged vermin.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea perhaps velocitors won't do as much damage coming out of a short 3.5" barrel. But given the choice, i'd still rather have them loaded in a ccw instead of regular lead round nose. I'll give the velocitors the benefit of doubt. True, they cost more, but it's not like i'm buying a whole case of them.... just a few boxes.
There's a good chance for over penetration, ie a thru and thru, possibly injuring bystanders, plus the energy won't be spent inside the cavity
JMHO, yours varies from mine.:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Why not load your CCW .22 with alternating Stingers/Velocitors? Have the best of both.

Reactions: ThrottlePusher
1 - 20 of 29 Posts