Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to the forum and a new shooter. After going to the gun range with my husband for the first time I fell in love and we immediately bought a Ruger SR-22. When I shoot the gun it hangs. It's does it for myself and my husband. When I took it to the gunsmith we picked it up from he said that I may be *stealing* some of the power the gun needs. I really don't think this is the issue though. I keep my hands pretty still. My first time at the range I only missed the target one time and shot well enough to qualify for concealed carry.Beyond that I'm pretty careful not to move my hands too much. I was wondering if the bullet could be the issue? He sold me Blazer .22 LR.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Austin,Did you clean and relube the gun before you went to the range?Any new gun should be cleaned of the factory grease.The factory puts a lot of lube to protect the gun from rust while it sits on the shelf before purchase.Limp wristing should not be a problem with the .22 round...

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
It is recommended you take down the gun,so you get a better knowledge of the workings of the gun,and then clean it according to the instructions in the manual.Relube it with your favorite gun oil and go shoot it some more.It will run a lot better...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Also check to see that the recoil spring is attached to the guide rod. Instructions in the owner's manual; it can be a challenge.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Welcome Austincb from AZ.
Also you didn't mention what ammo you are using that could be an issue.

Be careful how you load the rounds into the magazine, don't pull down the button on the mag all the way and drop in the rounds. Push down on the button(I can't think of the proper name) so only one round at a time can go into the mag.

HTH

·
Registered
597 Posts
I personally use Federal Champion and CCI Minimags ammo. So far very reliable. I would recommend after loading your clips to tap the mags so the butt of the bullets are seated. I do this with my SR9 mags as well.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hello Austin, good information above, there are a bunch of videos on Youtube that will give you guidance as to cleaning and lubing your new pistol. Here is a link to a search for Ruger sr22 cleaning.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ruger+sr22+cleaning&oq=sr22+cleaning&gs_l=youtube.1.1.0j0i5.6548.11858.0.15661.13.13.0.0.0.0.83.937.13.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.HNgEBBPjols

Limp wristing is not having a firm enough grip on the pistol allowing it to flip up and back when fired. This results in the slide not coming back with enough force to eject the spent casing and chamber the next round. Just be sure to keep a firm grip, not trying to choke it to death but try to hold it tight enough to resist the barrel from flipping up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
But the importance of making sure the recoil spring is properly seated cannot be understated. The gun will not function properly if it is not fully seated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Go to Ruger and watch the Disassembly/reassembly video: => Ruger® SR22® Rimfire Pistol Extras

Lube only the spots shown in the video

Seat the recoil spring onto the recoil rod. Use your fingernail if you have to but make sure the spring and rod are secured to each other. In other words the spring will not fall off of the rod.

After loading bullets in magazine tap the magazine on the palm of your hand casing side of the bullet to make sure all the shells are aligned properly in the magazine.

Some brands of bullets do not have the power to cycle the slide completely and will eject but not put another round in battery. Just the way it is with 22s

I prefer the copper coated shells as opposed to the bare lead shells with the wax buildup. Shoots cleaner in my opinion.

Clean it and go shoot it!!! Have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts