Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local range this morning when they opened up and rented a Ruger SR-22. They only allow you to shoot ammo you buy from them in their rental guns, so I bought 3 x 50 boxes of CCI .22LR. I did try to buy a brick from them of CCI since they had just gotten a shipment in Friday, but they said .22LR is hard enough to get that they won;t sell it except for you to shoot at their range while you're there. :( I suppose I understand. I picked up a brick at the other LGS that doesn;t have a range to feed.

Anyway, I loved that little gun! Accurate as all get out. I like the DA/SA aspect and the de-cockers. Not a single mis-feed in 150 rounds. I imagine it would be even more comfortable to shoot with the larger backstrap and the magazine floor extenders. I had thought I would buy a Ruger Mark III 4" Bull Barrel to replace my Mark II 4" Bull Barrel, but after shooting this guy that will have to wait.

Now I really can't wait for my CT Pistol Permit to get here so I can pick one of these little guys up to add to my SP-101 and Glock 19.

·
Registered
275 Posts
They are definitely a nice shooting gun. I love mine, and have been debating on using it as a backup carry to my SR9C.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really enjoy shooting mine. I prefer the extended floor plate along with the bulkier backstrap as my hands are on the larger side. Even with the smaller backstrap, it is very comfortable to shoot. I haven't shot many .22 pistols, but I'd definitely recommend purchasing this one to anyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see that- especially with the rail-mounted laser aboard....if you can find the right holster or place to secure it. I'd certainly rather have this little guy, with 10 rounds of hollow point, with me than no gun in a bad situation. It's not like a .22LR will stop an attacker's advance or momentum, but A) it goes "BANG" and B) 2 or 3 or 4 hits in the forehead to a bad guy, even with .22, has gotta put the hurt on him pretty bad.

They are definitely a nice shooting gun. I love mine, and have been debating on using it as a backup carry to my SR9C.

·
Banned
411 Posts
If one hit in the forehead doesn't put him down he must have an incredibly thick skull.

Then you'll have to shoot him in the eye.

:D

These days, when dedicated bad guys wear Kevlar......may as well carry a .22 and shoot the head anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is a nice lil shooter, once I got my mag problem sorted out has been fail free.
What kind of mag problem did you have? I just bought a brand new SR that had problems that I finally figured out. The problem was with the mags. I modified them to work until Ruger can send me some "different" ones.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
What kind of mag problem did you have? I just bought a brand new SR that had problems that I finally figured out. The problem was with the mags. I modified them to work until Ruger can send me some "different" ones.
The opening was too narrow shells would not go in. Called Ruger and the sent a couple new ones that worked fine and had me ship others back or I would have fixed them. Sounds about same trouble you had.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No, mine would not reliaibly operate the magazine disconnect nub. It would cycle a couple of times and fail to reset. I called Ruger and they said some mags were "too short" and they are sending some new mags. "Short" isn't the problem.

I took a mag apart so I could SEE what was going on, and the radius of the lip on the mag didn't get good contact on the little nub for the disconnect. I tweaked the mags with a screw driver to change the shape of the lip so it would catch the nub.

I ran 300 thru it today with both mags without a single malfunction. Prior to the mod, it would not run reliably at all, sometimes failing to reset every shot. I will be on the phone with Ruger Tech Monday.

I love the pistol. It is EXACTLY what I wanted in a compact weapon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts