Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happened to stumble on some reviews on You Tube where it appears that at least some SR 22's and Winchester Super X are not a good mix as the jams are about every shot. What is even a bigger puzzel is that they show the same SR 22 working flawless with Remington Golden Bullet & Remington Thunder Bolt. I also noticed that in the Cabela's reviews of .22 ammo the Winchester Super X is taking a beating on there also. Last Winchester .22 I have shot was from a bolt action rifle and that was before the great .22 ammo shortage. Guess my question is not if anyone is having issues with SR 22 jams but what's up with Winchester .22 ammo?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got my SR-22 about 2 years ago and posted a lengthy review of the pistol in another forum. Part of the review was about ammunition sensitivity.

I put every type of .22lr ammo through that pistol for reliability tests. I wasn't as concerned about accuracy (which, incidentally, was very good!) but I wasn't willing to have a "jam-a-matic!" If the SR-22 was going to jam, I intended to find out.

I used every available brand, bullet shape, hollow point, solid, bullet weight, mixed them and even dug up some rounds that had been rolling around in the trunk of my car. These rounds were dirty, corroded, dented and damaged and were probably damp then dried out periodically.

The nickle version was that everything fed properly with no exceptions! That pistol handled every round with 100% reliability and it worked with some ammo that probably should have been discarded! Even so, accuracy was very good!

No matter what I threw at that pistol, it all worked 100%. I'm convinced that concerns about the Winchester ammo are not valid.

Flash

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears to vary by user on Winchester ammo. Found this:

Winchester Super X .22LR - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szumi View Post
I had such horrible luck with FTE, FTF, ect with 333 that when I saw 555 sitting on a stocking cart at the store this morning I turned around and went the other way.

I have a box of 222 pack I'll try some day to see if WW bulk pack is dead to me.
Yeah, I have a quite a few boxes of the 333 and have had a pretty high FTE ratio with them and the fact that they are not very accurate. And this is from a bolt gun. They get stuck in the chamber.
Personally I shoot more CCI & Federal than I do Winchester or Remington but always considered Winchester a step above Remington for the most part. Just realy surprised to see the reviews about the Super X but as one poster mentioned they are at least 4 different Winchester .22 ammo's that have the Super X headstamp.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered a bunch, the kind that came in a nice wooden box. They have quite a truncated nose that hangs on the feed ramp of my (sorry ) M&P22. It's almost a flat tip. I used a pencil sharpener to knock off that corner. Then, they'll run fine. I have had other Super X that came in a red box, no such problem. I don't know how they source their suppliers, but the variation in experiences may be due to some very different rounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts