Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a slightly used SR 40; new style with glock style trigger; Maybe had 250 rounds through it prior to my purchase; I have put 1,000 rounds through it in the past three weeks.

1. Exterior barrel has significantly more wear "markings" on it than my similar experiences with other semi-autos, including glock, walther, smith and wesson, kahr, etc. I have read a little about barrel peening problems, but have not had time to understand the issues yet. The markings go around the entire circumfrance of the barrel, and there appears to be some deeper wear towards the end. Just noticed that this evening before typing this and haven't had a chance to look at it real close yet.

2. Cannot release slide stop with one hand; never had this problem before at all with any other handgun. can release it with two hands, but only want to do it once during a shooting session, not fun; have to manually pull slide back to relieve pressure from the stop first. And this remains after approximately 1,250 rounds down the barrel.

Any input on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
1. That's easy - Nothing to worry about it, perfectly natural. You shoot it, the parts rub like they're supposed to and you can see it. The barrel and slide lockup towards the end of the travel so that might explain the wear towards the muzzle. There's nothing about a Ruger that would naturally make it wear faster than any other gun. In fact, just the opposite.

2) If the slide hasn't been released correctly (ie: take the pressure off the latch by pulling back on the slide) I could see where there'd be unusual wear there. But at 1500 rounds? Assuming the gun is clean, something is a miss. How does the manual say to release the slide, pull back or press the release?

Maybe this piece has more than 250 rounds through it?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Picked up a slightly used SR 40; new style with glock style trigger; Maybe had 250 rounds through it prior to my purchase; I have put 1,000 rounds through it in the past three weeks.

1. Exterior barrel has significantly more wear "markings" on it than my similar experiences with other semi-autos, including glock, walther, smith and wesson, kahr, etc. I have read a little about barrel peening problems, but have not had time to understand the issues yet. The markings go around the entire circumfrance of the barrel, and there appears to be some deeper wear towards the end. Just noticed that this evening before typing this and haven't had a chance to look at it real close yet.

2. Cannot release slide stop with one hand; never had this problem before at all with any other handgun. can release it with two hands, but only want to do it once during a shooting session, not fun; have to manually pull slide back to relieve pressure from the stop first. And this remains after approximately 1,250 rounds down the barrel.

Any input on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance
Not sure if what your describing is actually penning or not. You could use 'search' to find older threads w/ photos regarding this. I haven't heard of penning problems with the SR40 only the SR9.

Not sure about the SR40 but on the SR9 the slide stop is just that a "slide stop" not a "slide release", your gonna need to sling shot it. Refer to your manual. You could search this one as well, pretty sure its been covered also. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Exactly as Richie SR9 has stated. It's a slide stop not a slide release, pull back on the slide and slingshot the first round.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey friend.....I also own a sr40 from brand new, the wear is normal that happens, and the slide on this gun was designed to be pulled back, although on mine after a few hundred rounds I don't have to sling shot, but I find that with a full mag inserted the release becomes super soft on the thumb!! I guess you'll just have to dry fire a bit and work the slide with every trigger pull getting that release to loosen up......good luck, great gun though!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ramosdavo: I bought it for wifey, but I'm finding I like to shoot it as much as my Walther p99 in .40: so yes I am finding that it is a great and accurate gun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts