Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I really like the way this gun has worked out for me, but the last time at the range it failed to eject a empty case and I needed to use the cleaning rod to remove the spent shell. The shell wasn't jammed and fell out with just a tap. So when I got home I cleaned the gun thinking maybe the chamber was dirty, but tonight the same thing happened. I've been using Butches Bore shine, to clean the barrel but now I'm wondering if its carbon build up? The barrel sure looked clean, and I don't think its a issue with the ejectors. Can anyone recommend a solvent that removes carbon. Or maybe someone here has had this issue and can steer me in the direction of a quick fix? The gun has been issue free until the last 2 times out, but I need reliability every time not sometimes. Any ideas on what it might be??

· Registered
3,560 Posts
Well, your description leaves a lot of holes...

What ammo are you shooting?

How many rounds have you shot through the gun before this?

Is the bolt face clean?

In debugging a problem it's quite often the one thing you take for granted. What does your extractor look like? Is the tip broken off?

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happy to say I think I found the problem after reading the Spike 12 response. I once again field stripped the SR and paid special attention to the bolt face and used a carbon cleaner in this area. Lots of black gunk that I really wasn't aware of was around the extractor now the bolt face looks like new. I'll give it a further test this weekend but I think that was the problem as the extractor or extractor spring doesn't appear broken or damaged. Is there a carbon cleaner formula that also has something in it that also removes copper fouling too? Or am I better off using two separate cleaners for each area? Also I know how to remove and clean the striker/firing pin do I need to go any further with this cleaning routine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.