Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife got a SR40 for Xmas this year; we had it out at the range for the second time today. Her SR misfired two different times, with two different types of ammo(Remington and Winchester). Both were new boxes from two different stores; my glock had no issues with either one. Any thoughts on what might be going on? I stripped it and cleaned it when I got home today, and plan on getting it back out in the the next couple of days. Any thoughts are appreciated. The primer on both were dimpled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
galloway precision

well first thing is check with ruger they have an outstanding warranty. If they are unable to help then id check with Galloway Precision for a heavy striker spring for about $12. Hope it helped

·
Registered
587 Posts
Az,

Call Ruger at 1-928-541-8892

DR

·
Registered
455 Posts
Was it cleaned prior to the first outing? If not, it probably should have been, if it was...I might give it one more shot (no pun intended) before sending it back. The striker and striker channel have some grease on it from the factory, and it should be removed.

I cleaned my the minute I brought them home, and they've ran 100%.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned it before we went out. Just cleaned it again and will give it another shot before contacting ruger. Appreciate the responses. I saw another thread on this site about a SR9 that was having misfire issues; turns out the shooter was inadvertently hitting the magazine release button causing the round not to seat properly. Not sure if this is what happened; it occurred when my wife was shooting. Will be real careful about this when I take it back out. Will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well finally found some ammo and got the gun out again. Out of 45 rounds two misfires. Not sure if I need to send it back to ruger, or if it still needs more breaking in (only about 100 rounds total through it (hard to shoot more when you can't find any ammo). It was cleaned before each time out. I have only owned two new pistols. My glock which i got at the same time, and this sr40c that I got for my wife to carry. Is it normal for a pistol to need "breaking in?" My wife makes the 900 mile trip to visit her mom a couple of times a year, and this gun was supposed to be her concealed carry for the trip. Don't really feel comfortable with her relying on this gun!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What exactly is happening when it 'misfires'? What is the symptom? Round doesn't fire after the being hit by the firing pin? Or?
Does it only misfire when your wife shoots it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has only misfired when my wife fired it. Looks like it is a light strike, the primer is dimpled. It does not look like she is limp wristing it either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I called ruger and they said I needed to send it in. They emailed me a prepaid next day air shipping label. Just sent it. The girl I talked to said they are averaging two week turnaround right now. Hope she's right! So fAr impressed with the customer service; hope I can say the same two weeks from now!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I called ruger and they said I needed to send it in. They emailed me a prepaid next day air shipping label. Just sent it. The girl I talked to said they are averaging two week turnaround right now. Hope she's right! So fAr impressed with the customer service; hope I can say the same two weeks from now!
I sent mine in last month and it was 2 weeks to the day when I got it back. Basicaly they sent me a new gun. The only thing that wasnt new was the frame. They will do you right!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've never had to use it, but I hear Ruger's CS is one of the best. I was just reading earlier about FNP .45 kabooms and they won't even pay for the shipping to send it in. Your gun blows up in your hand and yet you have to pay to have it looked at.

Ruger gets knocked by snobs, but I've never heard of a Ruger blowing up unless it was a double charge or something similar that would kaboom any gun, and all 3 of my Ruger handguns have run 100%. My P944 is about 15 years old and it has never malfunctioned in any way. Neither have my SR9 or SR9c, but they're nowhere near as old.

I once STUPIDLY fired a CorBon load, which is already hot from the factory, that had visible bullet setback that would have blown up a Glock in a nano second, and the P944 shot it like nothing. I do not recommend doing that though, I'd toss that round it if it ever happened again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well just the gun back from Ruger! Haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet (kids had dentist appts). Will let you know once I have a chance to look it over. Great experience dealing with Ruger customer service; right at a two week turnaround.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
keep the striker chanel clean and do not oil it nor the striker. if you still have a problem GALLOWAY PRECISION has a plus 20% striker spring that may be just what the doctor ordered. my SR40 has never had this issue. i did have to change the mag latch after several thousand rounds, but otherwise she has been excelent. as has my SR9, and so far my SR45.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well finally took the SR back out to shoot. No failure to fires, but now it has ejection issues. Out of 35 shots we had four rounds that failed to fully eject. The next round in the magazine would then bind up against the unenejected brass. This is so frustrating! My .40 glock 22 has never, not once, ever failed. When the slide on the SR is locked back, the barrel now seems real loose. Like it is not resting against the ejector right.
Any body else with a SR40c; does your barrel "jiggle" with the slide locked back? I don't remember it doing that before?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just called Ruger and got a message that their "office is closed due to unforeseen circumstances." WTF!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just called Ruger and got a message that their "office is closed due to unforeseen circumstances." WTF!!!

Closed for Good Friday that recording should be changed .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts