Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What weight bullets does the sr45 like the best for range use?
Edit to add: I'm probably going to purchase a SR 45. Does this gun favor any particular weight of bullets? Is this gun picky about bullet shape? Does it need full power loads for break in like some FN's? Just trying to find out anything about this gun I can in advance. Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
So far I have shot Tulammo, Perfecta, Federal Champion Aluminum case, in my SR45 and not one issue except my one mag doesn't lock back on last round fired. All these are of course 230 gr FMJ, I haven't got to try any HP's yet. I have heard that the SR45 will eat anything you put in it. So far I have to agree, shot steel, brass and aluminum case with no firing issues.
I was told that there might be a break in period for the SR45 around 500 rounds. Not sure about this but I will say the more I shoot it the better is seems to get. Same with my SR9.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I only shoot 230 grain fmj, but a lot of different factory ammo. All shoots good.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
SR45 has a good trigger to start and better after it is used a while.
I have used RNL, JHP, FMJ and plated either 200 grain or 230. several different powders from fast like AA#2, BULLSEYE, to AA#5, RAMSHOT SILHOUETTE, AUTOCOMP, and probably some I don't remember. also several different manufacturers and styles of bullet.
the SR45 may be the most reliable and accurate 45 I have ever owned. and there have been and still are many.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
mine is not picky, shot any FMJ or HP I've put in it. I really like the SR45

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like mine a lot. It shoots factory and reloads equally well. Well, let's put it this way-- trigger pulled and it goes bang every time. Whether I hit the bullseye is another story. Seriously, the groups are good and it fits the hand well. I waited a couple years to get one and am glad I finally have it. I like my P90 almost as much, that one is just a little heavier and fills the hand more. No complaints for either one.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Since you're going with a dedicated 'break in' I'm assuming you're working it up for CCW duty. You've made a good choice.

Be sure you clean the gun AND ITS MAGS when you get it before you go to the range.

Assuming you are going for CCW, I would do the break-in thing. To start I would shoot light, 185 or 200 FMJ. All you're trying to do at this point is to cycle the parts, smooth them up, test the mags and get YOU used to the gun. Since this can take some time, make it easy on yourself and shoot lighter recoil.

I consider this initial step done after the gun has been 100% for around 50-100 rounds depending on how many problems I've had. At this point all you know is that the gun runs ok with basic ammo and you know how to run IT. Your SR might run 100% through this.

My next step is to select my CCW ammo then make sure the gun runs 100% with it. Any gun should work ok with the FMJ from above but this will JHP. If has problems with your choosen CCW ammo, try another ammo. Reliability trumps some magic bullet's hype.

I carry a S&W 1911 Series E commander w/alloy frame. I carry Remington Golden Saber in 200gr. 230g is more difficult to control where I'm older and don't have the strength for fast followup shots. Remember; point of impact is more important than bullet type or weight.

The only bullet I've ever had problems with was a Hornady XTP in two 3" 1911. This bullet is used quite often in commercial CCW loads. The sides of the bullet are flat and would hangup on the feed ramp out of pure friction.

However, your SR should eat everything. You may consider polishing the feed ramp with metal polish and your finger. DO NOT use a machine to do this. It's too aggressive.

I consider night sites to be a must on a defense weapon. You may also wish to look at XS Sites. I think their system is superior to any 3 dot setup.

Enjoy,
Spike

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the advise. It seems as though the SR45 is not a picky eater! If things work out I may make the purchase over the Holidays and post a review early next year.
Thanks again! Looking forward to a new to me caliber and gun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts