Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger SR 556 takedown, a newer model with the Key mod guard & i also have the extra .300 Blk Barrel for versatility. I switched out the original magpul stock & grip for Daniel Defense, which works very well for me.
I bought a Sig Sauer Romeo 4C Red Dot for it, & it works well on top of the takedown, however I then bought a CZ 512 American in .22WMR that has a beautiful wood stock & decided to see how the Romeo would do on that & it looks great, but that set up leaves the takedown bare.
I am considering leaving the Romeo 4C on the CZ & getting an Eotech for the SR 556.
Most likely the Eotech 512 model since it is a bit more budget friendly.....or should i save my pennies & go for the
EXPS 2 with a green reticle??
Or should i put the Romeo 4C back on the SR 556 & put a regular scope on the CZ?? & if so which scope is would be a good fit for the CZ??…..a Vortex Diamondback Tactical ......or a Leupold perhaps??….
As you can see i am all over the map & need some help , lol........What is the ideal set up for each rifle?
I would use the SR 556 for defensive shtf & the CZ for plinking & small /med. game.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Style Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Machine gun

·
"The Real Deal"
8,457 Posts
I vote eotech for the AR. I have atleast 10 of them, mostly the 512 version and a couple xps versions. I like the 512 due to it uses AA batteries, i suggest lithiums for it. Its 1 moa dot is good for 200 and even 300 yards or farther if you practice. The red reticle is perfectly satisfactory even in bright sunlight. Been using them for more than 15 years and no complaints, its military grade.

Check out GG&G they have packages with the 512, flip up lens covers and an accucam quick lease mount that holds zero when
removing and reinstalling.

Id trust my life to one if i had too.
If you have questions let me know.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I vote eotech for the AR. I have atleast 10 of them, mostly the 512 version and a couple xps versions. I like the 512 due to it uses AA batteries, i suggest lithiums for it. Its 1 moa dot is good for 200 and even 300 yards or farther if you practice. The red reticle is perfectly satisfactory even in bright sunlight. Been using them for more than 15 years and no complaints, its military grade.

Check out GG&G they have packages with the 512, flip up lens covers and an accucam quick lease mount that holds zero when
removing and reinstalling.

Id trust my life to one if i had too.
If you have questions let me know.

View attachment 158695
Points well taken, Thank you Sir for your reply.....any thoughts on the CZ?, leave the Romeo4C on or go with scope??

·
"The Real Deal"
8,457 Posts
No problem. I think id leave the romeo on the CZ maybe slide it a bit forward to give you a better field of vision, since you can use it with both eyes open. Most of my 22's i i have micro dots on i shoot out to 100 yards with them. The ones that are scoped are set up for precision shooting or hunting and sighted at 50 yards. The red dots are sighted at 25 yards. But i know the hold over to hit out to 100 yards sometimes further. What is your main purpose for the CZ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an early EoTech on my AR but it ate batteries so I sold it! The reasopn why I first bought it was becaise I saw one with a bullet hole through the lens -- and it still worked! However, I now have several red dots -- A Sig Romeo 1, a Leupold Delta Point Pro and a Vortex Venom but that old EoTech was still my favorite! I've looked at other types of red dots but don't like looking through a tube -- which is why I now have the type of red dots I have! Why did I love that original EoTech so much? The reticle was far, far faster to get on target than any red dot I've had! As long as your EoTech dosen't eat batteries, I'd vote for the EoTech hands down -- with it's red reticle!

·
"The Real Deal"
8,457 Posts
I had an early EoTech on my AR but it ate batteries so I sold it! The reasopn why I first bought it was becaise I saw one with a bullet hole through the lens -- and it still worked! However, I now have several red dots -- A Sig Romeo 1, a Leupold Delta Point Pro and a Vortex Venom but that old EoTech was still my favorite! I've looked at other types of red dots but don't like looking through a tube -- which is why I now have the type of red dots I have! Why did I love that original EoTech so much? The reticle was far, far faster to get on target than any red dot I've had! As long as your EoTech dosen't eat batteries, I'd vote for the EoTech hands down -- with it's red reticle!

Thats funny i have never had an issue with any of mine eating batteries, i use lithium batteries in mine, some that have been in them over 5 years, no issue. Might have been something wrong with it, which they have a good warranty, only had one ever that i had to send in. It got replaced due to being over 15 years old and not being able to be repaired due to a change in manufacturing, so they gave me 50% off on purchasing a new one, which i did. Mine had a fading reticle issue which couldn't be repaired.

I own a few aimpoints, a few vortex strikefires, burris fastfires, primary arms micro dots, and even a few trijicon mro's. I feel the eotech is the best option to me for the AR, which i feel its best suited for, and was designed for. If i wanted a smaller optic with less bulk the others are great too. In the end it all comes down to budget, use, and preference. If you want military grade, look no further.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
EOTechs are a little expensive for my tastes.

I put a LEOS from AT3 tactical on my AR. It is a red dot with a bright green laser attached to the side of it and has been great so far for $125. My AR is just a toy to me.

If I truly depended on the gun for my life, I would get an Aimpoint, EOTech, or maybe even an ACOG. That is what you see on LEO guns. But all 3 of them would double the value of a gun I don't even hunt with.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,457 Posts
Wood Asphalt Road surface Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

This is my glenfield 75 22LR with a bushnell trs25 set up similiar to yours, i moved the optic as far forward as possible to allow me a better field of vision around the optic. I have it set at 25 yards and is alot of fun, even good for small game hunting like squirrel or others. Figured this might give you a visual idea of what i was talking about.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem. I think id leave the romeo on the CZ maybe slide it a bit forward to give you a better field of vision, since you can use it with both eyes open. Most of my 22's i i have micro dots on i shoot out to 100 yards with them. The ones that are scoped are set up for precision shooting or hunting and sighted at 50 yards. The red dots are sighted at 25 yards. But i know the hold over to hit out to 100 yards sometimes further. What is your main purpose for the CZ?
Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated. I think the CZ would do well for small to med. game rifle, i know it would be good for rabbits & squirrels, but how is the .22wmr for coyote's?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EOTechs are a little expensive for my tastes.

I put a LEOS from AT3 tactical on my AR. It is a red dot with a bright green laser attached to the side of it and has been great so far for $125. My AR is just a toy to me.

If I truly depended on the gun for my life, I would get an Aimpoint, EOTech, or maybe even an ACOG. That is what you see on LEO guns. But all 3 of them would double the value of a gun I don't even hunt with.
copy that, you have good taste, The ACOG's are really nice & build like a tank, i hear but they are way out of my budget......

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I agree with Tacky on the EoTechs. Had them about as long, but I'm using the CR 123 batteries (also found rechargeable ones) and haven't had any issues with batteries. All long life.

Over all, I like my ACOGs the best. PRICEY, but worth every cent. Most indestructible as they get, no batteries, but pricey.

Reactions: Tacky

·
"The Real Deal"
8,457 Posts
Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated. I think the CZ would do well for small to med. game rifle, i know it would be good for rabbits & squirrels, but how is the .22wmr for coyote's?
Never tried it on yotes but you could try and see. Im sure if you whack them a few times it will drop them. In particular a 22wmr to the head should do the trick on them. I have seen 22s bounce of feral pigs domes. Id want something stronger for them.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,457 Posts
I agree with Tacky on the EoTechs. Had them about as long, but I'm using the CR 123 batteries (also found rechargeable ones) and haven't had any issues with batteries. All long life.

Over all, I like my ACOGs the best. PRICEY, but worth every cent. Most indestructible as they get, no batteries, but pricey.
I have an XPS eotech that uses the cr123, where as the 512 and 552 use AA. Both good choices 552 is night vision compatible.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I put the rimfire version of the EOTech on my 1st generation Charger. Spent as much or more on the sight as I did on the pistol.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,457 Posts
I did a knockoff one on my full auto bb gun, so i can plink with it in the backyard, but just like my real AR's. Not sure the knockoff could handle a real rifle though, reticle is not what a real eotechs is either.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I have an XPS eotech that uses the cr123, where as the 512 and 552 use AA. Both good choices 552 is night vision compatible.
I like the night vision capable (prefer) too. AND I like being able to add a flip double or triple power magnifier behind them.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I did a knockoff one on my full auto bb gun, so i can plink with it in the backyard, but just like my real AR's. Not sure the knockoff could handle a real rifle though, reticle is not what a real eotechs is either.
True. The knockoffs won't stand up on a real rifle. That's where people buying the "cheap" $$$ EoTechs off e-bay (thinking they got a great deal), are really getting Airsoft (or other) knockoff junk, then complaining that ALL the Eotech scopes are junk. I've had ZERO issues with the REAL Eotechs.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,457 Posts
True. The knockoffs won't stand up on a real rifle. That's where people buying the "cheap" $$$ EoTechs off e-bay (thinking they got a great deal), are really getting Airsoft (or other) knockoff junk, then complaining that ALL the Eotech scopes are junk. I've had ZERO issues with the REAL Eotechs.
Very true. Seems there are knockoffs of everything now days. So sad.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Very true. Seems there are knockoffs of everything now days. So sad.
Sad but true. I've always been REAL careful With Eotech and ESPECALLY careful with ACOGs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts