Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased my first AR this past week and I haven't even been out to the range yet. However I have a few concerns.

1. The buffer seems to be hitting the retaining pin and causing damage to the face of the buffer. Is this normal wear? See the picture below...

2. The charging handle seems to be wearing the finish on the upper. I assume this is normal wear?

Sorry for the dumb questions but, this thing is whole different beast than I am used to.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Both of your issues are perfectly normal wear happenings.

The finish is not as hard as the metal to which it is applied.

Go shooting.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Feel free to send it to me and I'll check it out, been wanting the TD model, just don't want to pay for one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses so far!

Now I have another question. In this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvUKvCpzOr8

Ruger says to remove the bolt carrier before installing the barrel. However in the instruction manual it says to just use the bolt catch to hold it back. I assume one is just safer than the other? What is your thoughts gentlemen?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll play nice

Yes, both of these conditions are perfectly normal.
No need to be nice with me. I'm a big boy! Thanks for the help anyway.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If you were to put the upper on the lower, without the barrel, yes, you could use the Bolt release to hold the BCG back and assemble the barrel. But if the upper isn't on the lower, then no, do no insert the BCG as the lugs will interfere with installing the barrel.

However, I'd assemble barrel to upper, slide the BCG in and assemble upper to lower.

This would save you from accidentally release the BCG during assembly, which probably wouldn't hurt anything other than pride, and if your finger is in the wrong spot, a little pinch.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Seriously, after watching the video, please, send it to me!!!:D

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I would follow the video

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
The fellow in the video is a Ruger employee, he knows his stuff and if he says remove the carrier, then remove it. Seems easy enough since he showed you what could happen if you don't.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You know if they can do this with a piston gun, I'll bet they are working on a AR556 take down.....

Which is gonna suck too, cuz I'm gonna want one of those as well.... I don't even have a 10/22 TD yet!!!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Everything is normal. The wear is normal and just cosmetic.

I would follow the advice in the video.

Enjoy your rifle and try not to worry too much about wear. Have fun! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
was your charging handle extreamly hard to pull? i just bought 1 and have to use 10 times more strength then normal to pull, it feels as if it gets stuck. Any ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts