Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a SR-556 Takedown model. Are these guns any good? I understand that they have a .300 Blackout kit that goes with it.
Looking for someone who has the gun? You like it?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have one. I also have the 300BO kit.

The good: trigger is excellent for a factory AR. The quick detach barrel is also great. Makes cleaning as well as removing stuck cases incredibly easy.

The bad: accuracy is lacking. This is a 2 to 3 MOA gun on M855. I haven't come up with any hand loads for mine yet, but it's in the works. Also, because of the way the QD barrel mechanism was engineered, this isn't a free floated barrel. Finally, Ruger discontinued this model. Getting "Ruger approved" parts such as barrels, bolts, springs, etc. are going to be difficult. Of course, most of it is interchangeable with a normal AR. The barrel with gas block though... nope.

I can't speak of the 300BO kit as I bought it brand new years ago and it's still sitting in a box. I was planning on buying Starline brass and working up a subsonic load for use with my suppressors but never got around to it.

Whatever you do though, don't pay ridiculous money for one. They were expensive when Ruger was still making them. Given the current state of affairs, they're probably more expensive. I bought mine new for around $1500. If someone's asking for more than that, tell em to take a hike.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts