Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Web searched, and could only find one place that claimed to have an SR 762 in stock (who knows if they have updated their site) and it was $2k!

Could not find a single retailer with a 762, otherwise.

Not going the individual selling gun route.

Did Ruger shut down production, or are the 762's just selling like hotcakes?

·
"The Real Deal"
8,031 Posts
Web searched, and could only find one place that claimed to have an SR 762 in stock (who knows if they have updated their site) and it was $2k!

Could not find a single retailer with a 762, otherwise.

Not going the individual selling gun route.

Did Ruger shut down production, or are the 762's just selling like hotcakes?
I was curious of the same thing, I have searched a few places in the past weeks like gunbroker, gun genie etc. None listed. I am interested in grabbing one, was waiting until the bugs had been worked out and waters had calmed.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Not every model and variation is on a continual production run. For a LOT of their products, Ruger uses lean production so they reduce the old issue of static inventory. They make what's ordered by wholesalers and within a production schedule. When the time for the SR762 comes around, they go out. items with greater demand that availability are allocated and get offered up to the wholesalers higher volume sales people which in turn offer them to their better retailers. This is when it pays off being a good and loyal customer since a good dealer will then offer these allocated items up to their better customers.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,031 Posts
ruger sr762 308 win

Auction # 538571591

Gunbroker.com has a listing on the 762.
Yeah I have seen just 2, what figure their would be atleast a page or 2 of them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought mine from gun genie dec 2014. About a few days after I bought it they where sold out. they had around 300 in stock when i bought it. My guess is they dont last long on the self. my local gun some has 2 and wants $2300 for them. from everything ive read the bug was all worked out by august 2014. I still havent had a chance to take mine to the range and ive had it over a year now.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Not every model and variation is on a continual production run. For a LOT of their products, Ruger uses lean production so they reduce the old issue of static inventory. They make what's ordered by wholesalers and within a production schedule. When the time for the SR762 comes around, they go out. items with greater demand that availability are allocated and get offered up to the wholesalers higher volume sales people which in turn offer them to their better retailers. This is when it pays off being a good and loyal customer since a good dealer will then offer these allocated items up to their better customers.
Amazing how well that works knowing and being a regular customer at your local Mom & Pop's for years and understanding the system. It can be a "snooze ya loose" if you aren't on your toes. :D All I have to do is ask. I love hearing let me check and with-in a few minutes they'll shoot me a good price and an arrival date. Next production runs can be a long time coming if you miss the first boat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gunbroker has had them between 1700 and 2k for weeks. half dozen listed now...

I finally broke down the other day and bought one myself after eyeing them for the past year. Just over 1700 shipped. Make sure you read the description as I've seen a number of sellers only including a single mag, no bag, etc.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Gunbroker has had them between 1700 and 2k for weeks. half dozen listed now...

I finally broke down the other day and bought one myself after eyeing them for the past year. Just over 1700 shipped. Make sure you read the description as I've seen a number of sellers only including a single mag, no bag, etc.
I got mine about 8 months ago. It came with a bag and 3-30 round mags. Through the FFL's I had it shipped from RI to MA where my gunsmith had to pin the stock and weld the muzzle break on!

The rifle, with iron sights, is on the money at 100 yards all in the black. I'm getting some glass for it soon and can't wait to see what I can do out to 300 or 400 yards.

I know the rifle can do it but, at my age . . . well, that remains to be seen.

You won't regret your choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have noticed on the Ruger Website that the SR line has been reduced to the 556 takedown and 762 models only, down from the 4 or 5 SR556 models previously available. Maybe the success of the AR 556 has made them re-think piston guns. I hope they continue making the SR762, after owning a trouble-free example for over 2 years now I can safely say this is an Awesome rifle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been waiting for a SR762 for months. Tried to order one and the gun store told me that the distributors were out of stock. The gun store called me last week and asked me if I was still interested which I was. Got a call today that it was in. For a high dollar SR762, I would have expected no scratches, blemishes or tooling marks. I sent Ruger an email and will await a reply. The serial number last four is 5xxx and having read these forums I am thinking that I got a factory return instead of a brand new SR762. I have heard about "factory reconditioned" or factory seconds but I have never seen or heard of Ruger selling reconditioned or factory seconds. My email included the full serial number and I requested a manufacture date and other information. What is Ruger doing with all of the problem prone SR762s which were returned?

·
Registered
21 Posts
This morning I received an email response from Ruger that my email was being forwarded to the proper person. I was also given a phone number to check the history of the serial number at (603) 865-2424 and called this number a few minutes ago only to get a recording that the number will no longer be used for serial number history. How's that for customer service? Given a phone number for serial number history only to get a recording that the number no longer provides serial number histories. I am beginning to think that I got a factory reconditioned used SR-762 instead of a brand new one. I paid for a new SR-762. Factory reconditioned used SR-762 should be sold as such and shown on the box. Price should also be much cheaper than a brand new SR-762. Once I get more information, I will post it here on this thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I called the North Carolina customer service number a few minutes ago. NC is where the SR-762 is manufactured. I was given a manufacture date of my SR-762 with the 5xxx serial number as being JAN 2016. No reply to my email yet. The customer service dep't wants to see photos of the scratches and blemishes. I did ask the service rep what they did with all of the returned problem prone SR-762s and the rep told me that they are not allowed to disclose that information. Will add more to this thread later.

I am new to this forum and still trying to find my way around. Am I allowed to post a couple of links of where to buy firearms and ammo? The links are not a business but more like Gas Buddy which shows current prices of firearms and ammo by listing many businesses and current prices.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I called the North Carolina customer service number a few minutes ago. NC is where the SR-762 is manufactured. I was given a manufacture date of my SR-762 with the 5xxx serial number as being JAN 2016. No reply to my email yet. The customer service dep't wants to see photos of the scratches and blemishes. I did ask the service rep what they did with all of the returned problem prone SR-762s and the rep told me that they are not allowed to disclose that information. Will add more to this thread later.

I am new to this forum and still trying to find my way around. Am I allowed to post a couple of links of where to buy firearms and ammo? The links are not a business but more like Gas Buddy which shows current prices of firearms and ammo by listing many businesses and current prices.
post the pics here, I would like to see them

·
Registered
34 Posts
I called the North Carolina customer service number a few minutes ago. NC is where the SR-762 is manufactured. I was given a manufacture date of my SR-762 with the 5xxx serial number as being JAN 2016.
Regarding your serial number, is it xxx-05xxx or is it xxx-x5xxx? I ask because my SR-762, which I purchase in November, is xxx-11xxx and must have been manufactured at least a couple of months before January, 2016.

Note: I realize of course that the prefatory three digits may not be the same on our rifles, and that would mean that comparing the digits following the hyphen would be meaningless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got an email reply yesterday from Ruger from a different rep than the one I spoke with on the phone. "We have received your inquiry. We show the manufacture date for your firearm is Sept. of 2015" Different date of manufacture than the one I was given over the phone. Serial # 562-05xxx.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts