Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an SR762 recently. Need to put a scope and bipod on it. I have a 5.56 M4 with EoTech for short range shooting. Will use the SR for long range shooting. Thinking about the Nikon 308 scope and Harris bipod. Any thoughts on that scope on this rifle. What is a good all round height length for a bipod. Any other accessory recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
1) What do you consider to be "long range shooting?" Is it 100yrds at torso sized targets or 600yrds shooting for small groups? That'll dictate a lot about what scope you choose.

2) How will you be using the bipod? If shooting from a bench, then a 9-13" or 6-9" will do fine for an SR-762. I use 9-13" on mine, which is just a touch tall occasionally, but only a touch. For shooting sitting on your butt, a 12-25" can feel a teeny bit short, for kneeling, a 13.5-27" can be a little low, but that's about as tall as it gets. For shooting prone, a 9-13" will generally get you up out of short grass at 9", too high at 13" unless you put a pack under your chest. 6-9" is great for prone shooting from a mat in terrain without grass.

3) What accessories do you need? A long range rifle needs ammunition, an accurate way to gauge range, and a target.

You'll learn far more about long range shooting by buying a 10-12" steel plate (gong) and ammunition than you ever will from any other AR accessory.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi
I was in your shoes about a year ago, same question. The key is what do want to do with it? What is your price range?
Hunting at ranges out to 400 and particularly brightness in those low light dawn and dusk situations was important to me. That said, I took a Nikon and Vortex out to my field one afternoon and watched as it got dark. Both were similar in size and magnification and in my price range. In the end I took the Vortex Viper HS 2x10x44. Very happy but really probably could have ended up saying that with either. Have fun!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will not be using the rifle specifically for target or hunting. Just an all round general purpose survival/fun rifle. Self defense or hunting as needed. The Nikon M308 is in the $500 range. I thought that was a good price range for a general purpose scope. Suggestions or comments appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use a Burris AR536 Prism sight Very happy with it, well built design. Sight Range of 100-600 yards. I've shoot out to 300 yards so far and it's spot on, very pleased with results.

Rest of my set up:

Burris Flattop AR-F3 red dot (optimum height to co-witness with iron sights) mounted 45 degrees right side from 536 scope with iron sights. I use the front iron sight small hole with the red dot, the front iron sight is for back up in case the red dot goes out. Use it for 100 yards and under.

Laser max (green) mounted right front

Stream light TRL-1 (720 lumens) flash light mounted 45 degree to left

Mag Pul adjustable stock

Mag Pul vertical grip

Tripod (all machined aluminum)

Timney 3lb trigger kit

I really like this rifle and every body that shoots it too, it will hit the target spot on!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The lack of padding on the butt didn't affect me much while standing. I did try a few shots sitting and my shoulder took a pounding from the .308 rounds, since the stock is plain M4 style with no padding whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I will not be using the rifle specifically for target or hunting. Just an all round general purpose survival/fun rifle. Self defense or hunting as needed. The Nikon M308 is in the $500 range. I thought that was a good price range for a general purpose scope. Suggestions or comments appreciated.
I like Nikon scopes. Only thing, to me, with the M308 is the lowest magnification on them is 4x. To me that's a lot if you ever wanted to use it up close/quickly for some reason. And 12x on the top end seems like a lot (to me) if you don't plan to bench it, bipod it, etc. I'd think offhand, kneeling, etc with a 12x zoom wouldn't be that useful? Though I've never tried it.

If you are ok with stuff in the $500+ range, I personally would try for a 1-6x or thereabouts. Though for half that budget, the Nikon Monarch 1-4x is light, compact, and to me very clear. And I like Nikon's zero-reset turrets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts