Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My SR 9 has had extraction issues since I bought it. I used it for USPSA in production. (I have since switched to a CZ 85) At first it seemed to do fine with factory ammo but not my mixed stamp reloads. Factory ammo was 115 grain Blazer. Reloads were 124 grain Bayou in mixed brass. Then I started having extraction issues with all ammo. Some days it would run fine other days no so much.
I sent the gun back to Ruger with a explanation and several of the cases that would not extract. They sent me back the gun with a replaced extractor (and reinstalled the mag disconnect which I had removed because at the end of a stage you must show clear and hammer down). They stated that they could not find anything wrong but changed the extractor anyway.
Got the gun back and still have the same issues.
So to my question....could the depth of the chamber to the shoulder the case rim sits on have any effect on extraction? My SR 9 has a depth of .641 to rim shoulder from the flat on barrel @ chamber entry
My CZ's are at .610.... I realize they are different guns and operate differently . I have never had a single malfunction in the cz in thousands of rounds. I love the Ruger but don't trust it any more. Could someone measure the depth ads see what they have? Thanks
Mike
Edit to add: OAL of my reloads are 1.130

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
My SR 9 has had extraction issues since I bought it. I used it for USPSA in production. (I have since switched to a CZ 85) At first it seemed to do fine with factory ammo but not my mixed stamp reloads. Factory ammo was 115 grain Blazer. Reloads were 124 grain Bayou in mixed brass. Then I started having extraction issues with all ammo. Some days it would run fine other days no so much.
I sent the gun back to Ruger with a explanation and several of the cases that would not extract. They sent me back the gun with a replaced extractor (and reinstalled the mag disconnect which I had removed because at the end of a stage you must show clear and hammer down). They stated that they could not find anything wrong but changed the extractor anyway.
Got the gun back and still have the same issues.
So to my question....could the depth of the chamber to the shoulder the case rim sits on have any effect on extraction? My SR 9 has a depth of .641 to rim shoulder from the flat on barrel @ chamber entry
My CZ's are at .610.... I realize they are different guns and operate differently . I have never had a single malfunction in the cz in thousands of rounds. I love the Ruger but don't trust it any more. Could someone measure the depth ads see what they have? Thanks
Mike
Edit to add: OAL of my reloads are 1.130
I just checked my SR9c FWIW. Almost 6000 rounds thru it with zero extraction issues. 332-17XXX SN. Manufactured almost 6 years ago.

Dept from is .607"

OAL on a several rounds varies quite a bit depending upon bullet shape. Your number is right in there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would send the gun back to Ruger and ask them to measure the chamber. Sounds like the barrel chamber depth may be out of spec, and Ruger did not catch it when you sent it back the first time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doggie,
seems pretty close to what you have. I will keep studying the problem and see what I come up with. Reluctant to send it back again.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts