Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I managed to complete my collection of the SR series by adding the SR40 (used) and SR40C (new). My first SR was the 9E followed by the SR45 and SR9C. All guns (except the SR40C) have the Galloway Precision striker, striker block springs, striker indicator and recoil spring and guide rods. The magazine disconnects have been removed. The SR45 has a Powder River trigger, the others are factory stock. These guns are in my carry rotation. I'm one of those who can't understand why Ruger dropped the SR series but they are still out there new (Sportsman's Warehouse is posting the SR45 and SR40 at $249.99 as of May 2020). The 9E was plagued with light primer strikes and failures to load. The Galloway parts fixed that issue so I had their parts on-hand for the SR45, SR40 and SR9C before even taking possession. The SR40C has not been upgraded with Galloway parts but has not had any light strikes so I may just keep the striker assembly stock; however, the recoil spring and guide rod will likely be replaced. The Power River trigger in the SR45 does shorten the pull and reset but the factory stock triggers in the SR's are excellent and really don't need improvement. (See Hickok45's YouTube review of the SR9C regarding the trigger.) Unlike other 40 S&W caliber guns in my collection, the SR40 and SR40C don't have that "40 snap", they both feel like 9mm's, very impressive.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,581 Posts
Nice family photo! I have the SR9E and it is a reliable firearm. No lite strikes or issues so far. Good for range fun and a nice bed side tool. Others in my family have SR9c's and we love them. I got lucky with mine bought used and never had a issue. Easy to maintain and accurate enough for my shaky hands. I love those SR40's very smooth shooters. Funny how those Rugers multiply! For the price the SR series is a good value...better than most out there IMHO.
What Galloway parts did you put in the 9E?

Attachments

·
Pony Soldier
8,471 Posts
I enjoy my SR9c, it has been 100% reliable.
I have not fired an SR40, but I did find my sons Glock 40 to be snappy and uncomfortable to shoot.

Greg

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Nice group. I feel under-gunned. All I have is an SR9C. It's been a good shooter and was never plaqued with light strikes.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,820 Posts
Nice collection. I have an SR40 and an SR40C and never had an issue with either one. Solid and 100% reliable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reading the comments, it looks like my particular 9E was unique with its light strikes and failure to load. My 9E's problems were solved with the Galloway parts. I don't know if the SR45, SR40 and SR9C had the same issues as I never fired those guns with factory springs. I installed the Galloway parts before pulling their triggers for the first time. The SR40C worked just fine with factory springs so now I'm wondering if the other SR's really needed the Galloway parts. Oh well...

Today's range a session will be testing 45 loads that I put together 2 months ago before the covid19 shutdown. I'll be using the SR45 and one of favorite guns, Taurus PT945.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

I’ve gotten another SR9c since these two for $269. Love my SR’s, the 9c pictured is my first 9mm pistol. Also have a Security 9 & PCC9 carbine to go along with these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm tempted to take advantage of the $249.99 tag on the SR45 and SR40 at Sportsman's Warehouse web site, that is, if they aren't sold out. Honestly, I can't justify having two of each.

Like I posted above, I went to the range again today with a bunch of 45 loads and my SR45 and PT945. I also brought the SR40 and SR40C and popped off a bunch of rounds with them too. I now have tons of brass to de-prime, re-prime and start reloading but won't get to them until next week. With the sunny skies and warm temps up here, I'll be motorcycling all weekend.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,581 Posts
Nice ride and a good day at the range! The prices lately on the SR series has made it very tempting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice ride....
She's a 2002 Kawasaki Nomad with 74k miles. My other bike is a 2001 Kaw Vulcan Classic with 105k miles. I painted the Nomad in Corvette Torch Red and the Classic in Corvette Bright Yellow. Both bikes are features on Purpleiron.com web site. "Duvall" is a small rural town east of Seattle and has become a haven for Microsoft techies. It's 40 miles from my digs, a short and low stress ride for lunch.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My only SR is a black SR9c and can’t say enough about the soft recoil, accuracy and dependability. Current prices have me thinking about grabbing another one.

My SR9c is stock but I would like to swap out the plastic guide rod for a stainless steel one, just for more confidence.

I didn’t realize what a soft shooter the SR9c is until I shot my son’s Glock-26. Big difference!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts