Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few months I have been experiencing feed issues with my SR1911. At first I thought it was my reloads so I tried some factory ammo. However, the feed issues continued. I have been able to narrow the issue down to my two Ruger SR1911 10 round magazines. The feed issues do not occur with the seven or eight round Ruger magazines only with the ten round mags. Also, the feed issues occur when the slide is cycling or when I manually rack the slide.

The spring in the ten round magazines do not feel as strong as the springs in the seven or eight round magazines. But other than that I see no difference.

What else could be causing the feed issues that seems to be isolated to only the two ten round Ruger magazines?

Thanks....

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I'd try other magazines and see if you can "weed out" the ones that don't feed. Wilson Combat and Chip Mccormick mags are good.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
To stiffen the mag springs remove them and stretch them
Bad advice. The first time loading will result in same problem further weakening the springs.

Better to change the springs or just get new mags since 1911 mags are reasonably priced.

Look up Greg Cote,Llc for some good prices and flat rate shipping

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Before we go off with all sorts of answers, how about we define the problem???

Exactly what do you mean by feed issues??? Double feeds? Stove pipes? Have you messed with the feed ramp? How old are the mags in question.

How new is your 1911? This is something that might get better as the gun parts wear into each other.

All magazines are not created equal. But say you're using Ruger mags, right? In general, 10round mags are not known for their reliability in general. It's sort of a hit or miss with them. Messing around with a brand new mag is a bit premature until we know more about what is exactly happening.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Exactly what do you mean by feed issues??? Double feeds? Stove pipes? Have you messed with the feed ramp? How old are the mags in question.

How new is your 1911? This is something that might get better as the gun parts wear into each other.

All magazines are not created equal. But say you're using Ruger mags, right? In general, 10round mags are not known for their reliability in general. It's sort of a hit or miss with them. Messing around with a brand new mag is a bit premature until we know more about what is exactly happening.

Agreed. My comments were in lieu of the erroneous streching spings advice

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the springs are bad already there is nothing wrong with stretching it abit. Fact you cannot ruin a already ruined spring. Fact 2 is you are only testing to see if increased tension solves the issue. Fact 3 is you don't have to keep that spring use it till it fails or change it out now. There is no reason to spring for the price of new magazine until you are completely sure it is the issue

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

When the slide cycles a round sometimes get jammed between the slide and the chamber. This also happens once the magazine is empty, and I relaod the magzine and then rack the slide. One ten round mag is a few weeks old and the other is perhaps six months old but neither has seen much action so we could theoretically say that both magazines (use wise) are only a few weeks old. No I have not messed with the feed ramp or any other part of my SR1911.

I may contact Ruger this Monday and see if they will swap out the magazines for an eight round set.

This issue seems to be isolated to the ten round Ruger magazines. If i use the seven or eight round mags the pistol feeds 100% each time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts