Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me say that this has become my favorite shooter. I didn't think any other gun could dethrone my Beretta 92 but the SR1911 has. However
one thing I didn't like was the 2 tone look. I know some people love it but I was just not a big fan. After shooting it for a few months and "breaking it in", I decided to order some Ed Brown parts and make the changes. Every black piece has been replaced except for the hammer, Mainspring retaining pin, and of course, the sights (which will not be swapped out). All the "drop in" parts had to be fitted and bead blasted to match the gun with the exception of the mainspring housing.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Very nice.

I haven't done anything to mine other than add the rubber finger grooves. Have you thought about getting stainless grip screws?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Looks nice, great job.

·
Registered
53 Posts
awesome...stainless grip screws, or better yet, powdercoated brown (wood color) ones to match the grips would be even better.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,798 Posts
I made some changes to my SR 1911 too, however I stayed with the blue/stainless look. I installed a new matched set of Wilson extended thumb safety and slide lock, replace the straight mainspring housing with an arched housing and did some "internal work" I really like the Pachmayer finger groove grips for shooting but I put the factory wood grips on for "show".

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I really love the way it turned out.

Iowegan, I just put those grips on for the photos. I think they look beautiful however, my VZ grips go on it when it's time to shoot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow! looks very nice...I was curious about those new Ruger grips..those look great. Good show!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
First off, let me say that this has become my favorite shooter. I didn't think any other gun could dethrone my Beretta 92 but the SR1911 has. However
one thing I didn't like was the 2 tone look. I know some people love it but I was just not a big fan. After shooting it for a few months and "breaking it in", I decided to order some Ed Brown parts and make the changes. Every black piece has been replaced except for the hammer, Mainspring retaining pin, and of course, the sights (which will not be swapped out). All the "drop in" parts had to be fitted and bead blasted to match the gun with the exception of the mainspring housing.

Very nice sir. You do good work. Can you do your own bead blasting or do you have that done by someone else?

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
The whole gun looks great. I especially love the grips.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome...stainless grip screws, or better yet, powdercoated brown (wood color) ones to match the grips would be even better.
I plan on changing out the screws. A brownish/bronze set of screws would look real nice.

Very nice sir. You do good work. Can you do your own bead blasting or do you have that done by someone else?
Thank you sir. The bead blasting was done by a friend who works part time as a gunsmith.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
The only thing I changed on mine was to put some ebony stocks on it.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Looks nice! I like the two-tone stock look myself but the all-stainless look of yours is nice, and the grips are beautiful.

I have only installed a Wilson Combat extended slide release (thanks to an earlier post by Iowegan) and a C&S sear spring. The C&S spring lightened the trigger pull up a little but even before that it's pretty nice. I like the look of the stock Ruger grips myself.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Beauty !

·
Registered
55 Posts

I do believe that is the SEXIEST 1911 I have ever seen! Oh and it's a RUGER! VERY NICE. I hate to be a copy cat, but it's schweeeet. May I ask where you got the grips?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts