Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its just me but I could use suggestions, the last few times out to the range with my SR1911 I can't seem to get my groupings down to anything that makes me feel good about my shooting. I was shooting both PMC Bronze and Winchester white box 230 grain fmj. I've found that these practice loads tend to shoot low so when I don't compensate for that they are dropping completely off the paper and when I do, 6 in groups at 10 yards is probably the best I'm doing. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

PS. I have two Chip McCormick Power 10 mags that typically don't feed the first round worth a F*ck, anyone else have issues with these? Yes I've cleaned them.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Before long, someone is going to link you to a former answer from a very knowledgable member [Iowegeon] about a little-known issue with 1911 barrels that tip up/down upon firing. Until then, I can tell you that my SR1911 was, and continues to be, flawless right out of the box. It shoots everything [and I mean everything] and point-of-aim has been point-of-impact from 5' to 25' since day-one. Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It may be worth dry firing at the target to see if your trigger press is all it should be. That is no sight movement when the trigger breaks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Put your pistol securely on a rest and see if it is on or if the sights need adjustment. Adjust as needed then if it continues to shoot low it's the shooter.

I remember guys having trouble with the 1911 shooting low and they were told they were flinching as they anticipate the recoil of the 45 ammo.

I'm lucky because my SR1911 shoots very accurately. When it's off POA, it's just me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Yup, once you get your sights adjusted properly (and it's very possible they came out of the box that way) it's a "simple" matter of making sure the sights are on the target when the gun goes bang.

Simple? Yeah, right. :)

So... as others have said, there's a very good likelihood you are flinching. Practice is the best way to improve on that, both dry-firing and live-firing.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I am willing to bet you are dipping the pistol at moment of firing and the recoil is hiding that fact. Have someone else load your mag with live and dummy rounds and you will find out if you are dipping the barrel when you fire the shot. Also change to the Chip McCormack 8 round mags. I never had problems with the 8 round mags when shooting numerous IDPA pistol matches.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions as I will try them out. Think I will stick to the 7 and 8 round mags too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A Coach May be in Order

All good advice. At the local public range the other day a man was showing his female friend how to shoot a modern striker fired pistol. He could shoot it fairly well, but her shots were mostly very low and widely spread. Upon watching her is was evident she was pulling the barrel down significantly on every shot. Her "coach" was looking at her target not her shooting form so was not able to provide useful advice. I didn't interfere as it really isn't appropriate at my range to offer help unless asked, but I thought about it because it was so obvious.

If the advice offered here doesn't solve your problem, and it is good advice IMHO, get a qualified coach to help you. A professional coach really helped me. When at the range if you observe someone shooting they way you want to with a semi-auto pistol, ask for them to help. Most shooters love to spread knowledge.

The SR1911 is accurate and a mediocre shooter like me can tear a ragged hole in the center of a target with a couple of magazines and I am sure you can too.

Be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sneaked out of work briefly to try the 1911 out and while the grouping was small, maybe 2 in from 10 feet I'm still pulling my shots about 2 in low and 2 in left. I was trying a different hold on the gun so maybe I'll play with that a little more to see if I can improve groups further.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think its just me but I could use suggestions, the last few times out to the range with my SR1911 I can't seem to get my groupings down to anything that makes me feel good about my shooting. I was shooting both PMC Bronze and Winchester white box 230 grain fmj. I've found that these practice loads tend to shoot low so when I don't compensate for that they are dropping completely off the paper and when I do, 6 in groups at 10 yards is probably the best I'm doing. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

PS. I have two Chip McCormick Power 10 mags that typically don't feed the first round worth a F*ck, anyone else have issues with these? Yes I've cleaned them.
I found that with my factory sights I need to cover the intended POI with the white dot on the front sight. This instead of the standard 6 o' clock hold helped. I also swapped out the flat MSH for an arched version. This helped me a lot. YMMV though.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
While the following link applies to Bullseye Shooting, it can be generally applied to two-hand, off-hand shooting. My worst habit I constantly work on to correct is anticipating recoil and either jerking the trigger or over gripping resulting in loss of trigger control. So, if I'm grouping at 5, 6, or 7 o'clock from point of aim(on the bullseye) I work on trigger control and avoid over gripping.

Each shot with a constant trigger control and pull is to achieve a surprise shot, not disturbing the sight alignment so that point of aim = point of impact.

See my sig. HaHa

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I sent my CMD back to Ruger because it shot low. They replaced it with another CMD that shot low. I sent it back and they put in a black front sight so I could file it down to sight it in. Ruger rep. told me they don't care where a gun shoots as long as it groups within spec. I thought this very strange but we did it 3 times and I ended up filing the front sight.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I stuck with the 8 round Chip Mc Shooting Star.

"PS. I have two Chip McCormick Power 10 mags that typically don't feed the first round worth a F*ck, anyone else have issues with these? Yes I've cleaned them."

I stuck with the 8 round Chip Mc Shooting Star, I don't trust 10 rounders, as a general principle.
And, it looks like you have come to the same conclusion. I think that the 8 rounder will work better for you.
Accuracy wise, I figure that if I can put a few into a bad guys chest, from across the room, that's accurate enough.:)
Pin point accuracy used to matter more than it does now. I ain't saying that it ain't important, but it matters less now.

·
Banned
308 Posts

"I think its just me but I could use suggestions, the last few times out to the range with my SR1911 I can't seem to get my groupings down to anything that makes me feel good about my shooting. I was shooting both PMC Bronze and Winchester white box 230 grain fmj. I've found that these practice loads tend to shoot low so when I don't compensate for that they are dropping completely off the paper and when I do, 6 in groups at 10 yards is probably the best I'm doing. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
"

Where are your sights zeroed? If out further than 10 yards they will shoot low any closer.

Bullets don't shoot straight, they arc.

Radio George

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
My husband has the same problem shooting our 1911s. Low and left is typically caused by squeezing your grip as you pull the trigger, either from anticipation of the shot or just plain bad trigger and grip technique. This seems especially true with 1911s. Try to only move the top two digits of your trigger finger when you shoot, pulling the trigger back in a straight line with the sights.

Lots of great videos by Todd Jarrett and Rob Leatham on the net about 1911 shooting basics. I've learned a lot form videos with my 1911 shooting.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
1) Try using the mags that came with the gun. Obviously if they work fine... 10 round mags are certainly running on the ragged edge of reliability I think. 7 or 8 like those that came with the gun are the accepted norm. If 10 round mags don't work well, I would not blame the gun. The SR1911 is a good quality gun.

2) The ammo you're using isn't exactly match grade. Find the ammo you're going to stick with adjust the sites (screw, file, or whatever you have to do). Try a box of quality self defense ammo and see what you get. For $25 isn't it worth it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think it is the shooter. I have a tendency to "torque" my gun to the left and slightly downward, so most of my shots are slightly to the left and down. A fellow shooter remarked on it, so I just have to be extra careful and pay attention. Just takes practice.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It may be worth dry firing at the target to see if your trigger press is all it should be. That is no sight movement when the trigger breaks.
this! for me, because I use striker fired pistols the most, going to the light crisp SR1911 trigger means I rush the trigger. each time I do this my shots are pulled off the center.it is always my focus rather than my pistols fault.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts