Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other week i put a deposit on an sr1911 and hoping to pick it up this week if my new permit comes in the mail. this is going to be my first 1911 so im new to them and their aftermarket parts.

i am a lefty so i will want to put a ambi safety on it relatively soon to make it easier and more convenient for me to shoot.

my question is should i go with the ambi safety sold at shopruger.com, or another brand? i did some searching and see a bunch of companies make the such as kimber, wilson combat, ect.

looking for some adviced from guys with more 1911 experience and experince with different ambi safeties. looking for brand recommendations.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Being a Ruger gun I'd go with the Ruger part.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
First off, though I have an SR1911 I haven't installed an ambi safety, although I may in the future as my son is a southpaw.

That being said, many ambi safeties link the left and right sides together with a notched shaft and the right side lever is held in place with a relief cut out of the right side grip panel.

The Ruger ambi safety links the left and right sides together with a pinned shaft, and it appears that no grip panel cutout is necessary. I haven't seen a report from anyone who's installed one yet but I think I would prefer the Ruger design myself.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Some years back when Al Capone ran King's Gun Works he made a pinned ambi safety for 1911s. The benefit is one does not need a notched right grip panel to retain the safety right side. However, to detail strip the gun it adds a bit more to do to the process. Most grip panels can be ordered notched. Aside from retention method, a major determinant is the shape and size of the thumb pads and many people have their own preferences such as Wilson or Brown or many others. I would scan through Brownell's online catalog to see what all is available. There is also the factor of cast vs. MIM vs. forged and what one's preferences are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts