Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a SR1911 CMD and I have to say that I am impressed with it. I have a few other 1911s and I'm not easily impressed with most of them right out of the box. Good Job Ruger. :D

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
congrats ... I would love to have the commander to go along with my full size SR1911 ...

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Congratulations on your new SR1911!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Congrats on your new Ruger! I have one and I love it. One bit of advice would be to be very thorough when cleaning. Pull the extractor and firing pin and clean out the their homes and then you're good to go.

Jason

·
Registered
704 Posts
Congrats on your SR 1911. They are dependable and enjoyable weapons.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
picked one up a little over a year ago, 525 obamabucks new in the box. it will shoot with any 1911 I have owned, I am impressed as well!

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
gw1158 ... Welcome and congrats on your new SR1911CMD. Mine now has over 1,000 flawless rounds down the pipe and it has become a favorite :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did do the usual complete teardown and clean, that's why I was impressed with the pistol. Sorry to say it was kind of boring, ha ha. No " well I need to work on that" moments.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Congrats on the new SR1911. I too have the full size and love it. I put Crimson Trace Laser Grips on mine and it's my bedside gun. Best "Bang For The Buck".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Enjoy! They shoot straight and are reliable. Had mine for about
6 months and very happy with it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I bought one in Jan 2013 and have been impressed enough with it that I added two more variants this year. The most recent is the LW on the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
I've been wishing that they made a Commander in blued steel. What do we have here?
svk ... The closest to a blued version CMD currently available I believe would be the TALO distributor exclusive in a Black Nitride finish.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I bought one in Jan 2013 and have been impressed enough with it that I added two more variants this year. The most recent is the LW on the bottom.

dakota talk to me about the lightweight model. I saw a video the other day and there were several failure to feed properly during the video. Common problem or just a fluke. Really interested in one but don;t want to buy only to find out there are issues later on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My buddy bought both the steel and the alloy commanders this summer. We've shot them quite a bit.

We did have some FTF at first but it was due to not cleaning them thoroughly when he first got them (too eager to shoot right way!) Most, if not all, well made 1911s have tight tolerances out of the box and one could have issues with even small amounts of gunk.

Ruger does tend to pack their firearms well 'oiled'! Once he cleaned them up we have had no issues (at least while I was with him).

Excellent quality, trigger and sights make the Rugers a good deal.

Here's my $.02 on the LW vs. steel...

We shot his back to back really concentrating on felt recoil. Both of us could 'barely' tell the difference. Honestly, we were surprised given the noticeable weight differences between them (and the different grips). The LW will definitely make a nicer carry piece so I don't see the point in going the steel route especially if you're going to carry it a lot (concealed or otherwise).

Of course, if you want or can afford both by all means go for it! :D (my buddy sold the steel version).

I was seriously looking at a LW Commander but that straight MSH really dug into my hand and I was getting a little pinch up near the beaver tail. I was going to try an arched MSH or get a jig to make it into a bobtail until I found a good deal on a S&W SC1911. It had everything I wanted (I ditched the FLGR) for cheaper than I could have gotten and modded the Ruger so that's what I ended up with.

Suffice to say, I don't think you'd be disappointed in any of the Ruger 1911s.

·
Premium Member
14,683 Posts
The CMD LW is on my 'get' list. I have the full size and CMD and love them both. Also have a Colt Defender and wish Ruger would make one in that size. Congrats on the new CMD!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had to have one of the new commanders, so I bought one in Aug . Had to trade it of in Nov. Not the guns fault but mine. ONe year ago in July I tripped on a rough sidewalk and injured my right hand. Took 17 stitchs to sew up the palm of my hand.I still don't have 100 % use of it. The Ruger Commander spring is just too stiff for me to work the slide. So now I own an other Colt Commander of whitch I have if have had several over the years.
It looks a little strange lying in the cabinet along with 7 Ruger revolvers.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I have one and love it. Great weapon!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts