Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an SR1911 for ccw purposes. Getting my NJ Permit, and NJ has max 10rd mag law.

Beautiful looking gun and shoots tight groups. However, the gun does not handle magazines well enough to feel safe for ccw. First, mags are hard to seat. Some after market mags will actually stop insertion with an inch still sticking out. Even Ruger mags suck. I bought 8 Ruger factory mag to go with the 2 that come with the gun. So 10 total, 7 of them are difficult to get into the gun AND they don’t drop free when the mag release button is hit. They come down 1/4-1/2” and you have to Rip them out, no babying them. I also have tried Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, Colt factory mags all have the same problem. Called Ruger and sent it back for repair. Gun come back today, they swapped out 1 magazine and called it repaired!!!

I also tried to put my threaded barrel in to see how my silencer would perform. Now I know 1911 barrels have to be fitted, but this isn’t even close. You cannot get a standard 1911 barrel into the slide.
when I mentioned that to customer service, they said “that’s intentional”. What? Why are you selling supposedly 1911 hand guns that are clearly out of spec?? What else is out of spec??

anyone else have these problems or did I just get a lemon?

if this is what Ruger has become, out of spec guns and customer service that is superficial, Im done with them. $900 paper weight right now.

I would not trust my life with this gun. Shoddy workmanship and really shoddy customer service. The sound you hear is Bill Ruger turning over in his grave.
I WAS a huge fan of Ruger until this purchase. 1 M77, 1mini14, 2 10/22s, 1 American Rimfire, 2 American Rifles, 1 GP100, 1 P89, 1 P95, 1 22/45. And I purchased an SR9c and SP101 for my daughter. 13 purchases, but #14 may be my last Ruger.

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
First post and your whole point in becoming a member is to complain? Not a strong first impression if your intention is to stick around in contribute. If you don’t intend on sticking around, why shouldn’t I close your post right away? You have said your piece. I hope you feel better.
For your magazine issue, it could be a variety of issues, sometimes as simple as the mag is unloaded. It’s not uncommon for single stack magazines to be difficult to insert because there is no natural taper or reverse funnel to the magazine to help it get past the magazine catch. As for them falling free, it could be a number of super easy fixes that you can look at. Are any of the grip screw protruding through the frame and dragging on the mag? Does the mag catch have a burr that just needs some use to smooth out?
As for the barrel, I don’t know what you expected. I would never expect any 1911 barrel to drop in. And the gun is not out of spec, it is to Ruger spec. The Ruger 1911 is not 100% true to original 1911 spec, and Ruger is not the only 1911 manufacturer that does this. This also happens with some manufacturers of AR pattern rifles as well, just to provide one other example.
Do you know what I don’t hear? Complaints about reliability and accuracy. The problems that have you all mad and swearing off Ruger is possibly a little tweaking with the magazine catch and you not doing your due diligence in checking the spec their 1911 is built to. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try getting 13 out of 14 with S&W....... I imagine you would be cursing much more! Send it back with a very detailed explanation (on paper) of the problem.
It wont take 5 months to come back like the first mentioned company....

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
First post and your whole point in becoming a member is to complain? Not a strong first impression if your intention is to stick around in contribute. If you don’t intend on sticking around, why shouldn’t I close your post right away? You have said your piece. I hope you feel better.
For your magazine issue, it could be a variety of issues, sometimes as simple as the mag is unloaded. It’s not uncommon for single stack magazines to be difficult to insert because there is no natural taper or reverse funnel to the magazine to help it get past the magazine catch. As for them falling free, it could be a number of super easy fixes that you can look at. Are any of the grip screw protruding through the frame and dragging on the mag? Does the mag catch have a burr that just needs some use to smooth out?
As for the barrel, I don’t know what you expected. I would never expect any 1911 barrel to drop in. And the gun is not out of spec, it is to Ruger spec. The Ruger 1911 is not 100% true to original 1911 spec, and Ruger is not the only 1911 manufacturer that does this. This also happens with some manufacturers of AR pattern rifles as well, just to provide one other example.
Do you know what I don’t hear? Complaints about reliability and accuracy. The problems that have you all mad and swearing off Ruger is possibly a little tweaking with the magazine catch and you not doing your due diligence in checking the spec their 1911 is built to. Did I miss anything?
All he said & more. You join a forum, just to raise hell about a fixable problem. All of us have problems with different makes of weapons we have problems with, but at least with a ruger, They have great customer service that will fix it. You have a legit problem, & are pissed off. We have all been there. Go through ruger , get the problem fixed, & keep us posted. If your post is a one time bitch session, make it the last & spare us.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok……sorry to hear that.
But you did have good luck with the first 13 I‘m assuming?
Maybe after reading some replies and free advice that is sure to come, you might give Ruger another chance to make it right?
Had problems with the P95. One call, one shipment. Runs like a clock.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I suspect your pre-purchase research was inadequate to identify the fact Rugers SR1911 is not MIL-spec, never has been, and I wouldn't want one if it was.

As to Ruger CS, they correct the machine e to their specs, not to yours or anyone else's.

No, the 1911 style guns are almost never a first choice for a noob CCW gun.

Yes Ruger CS corrects their products almost 100% of the time, but there is no warranty and they do not work over non-Riger parts.

Sorry you had such a problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks and apologies.
I can swap parts between my Springfield and my Colt with no issues - mil-spec, no issues. Mags run in and out no problems. So that’s my expectation. As to being to Ruger spec, 7 out of 10 Ruger mags don’t work. That to me is a Quality Control issue.
I’m not a gunsmith, so I’m trying to understand is this normal? If can be repaired great. Shouldn’t Ruger have done that when I sent it back, not just swap out the mag?
Maybe 13 out of 14 is a good track record, then I’m lucky.
I don’t think it’s the mag catch as someone suggested. Things seem to go past there without issue. What seems to be happening is as the mag passes the catch you can feel the top of the mag being forced forward and get tighter. Someon on another forum suggested the trigger bow, but I’ve taken the slide off and that seems to clear with no issue. I never knew the magwell was cone shaped. I thought it just contoured the magazine. Maybe that’s the issue. There are no protrusions as someone suggest - grip screws, bushings are fine, no burrs that I can see or feel when I remove the grip panels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try getting 13 out of 14 with S&W....... I imagine you would be cursing much more! Send it back with a very detailed explanation (on paper) of the problem.
It wont take 5 months to come back like the first mentioned company....
5 for 5 on S&Ws
6 for 6 on Sigs
Sent it back once. Sounds like it will have to go back again.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I am going to only address the "out of specs" comment. Below is a photo of my IDPA match 1911 and the target it shot at 25 yards with 8 rounds of Federal Gold Match ammo. You can cover the bullet hole with a 5 cent nickel. The pistol smith that did the accuracy work on that 1911 is now working for Ruger, for the past 5 years, after he gained his Engineer degree. I am sure he is working in their 1911 program. If so he would expect the fitting of parts to be tighten up to improve accuracy and any sloppy over sized parts from other makers would not be able to fit. The fact your gun shows good accuracy indicates the specs are tighter then the specs required for a military style 1911 that rattles when you shake it.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like mil spec pistols. The other day my friend called me a minimalist. I noticed you said when you hit the mag release. I happen to be setting here with a Kimber 3" that I'm making more government with wood grips and just finished retro-fitting a Colt government thumb safety in place of the extended safety. Any way if I hold it side ways and hold the mag release down it shoots the mag out the bottom of the well into my other hand. If I touch the release and let go the mag starts out but stops when let off the release and has resistance until it clears the release mechanism.
Maybe it just needs to loosen up.
I am curious why 10 mags and a silencer. Or do I not want to know.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to only address the "out of specs" comment. Below is a photo of my IDPA match 1911 and the target it shot at 25 yards with 8 rounds of Federal Gold Match ammo. You can cover the bullet hole with a 5 cent nickel. The pistol smith that did the accuracy work on that 1911 is now working for Ruger, for the past 5 years, after he gained his Engineer degree. I am sure he is working in their 1911 program. If so he would expect the fitting of parts to be tighten up to improve accuracy and any sloppy over sized parts from other makers would not be able to fit. The fact your gun shows good accuracy indicates the specs are tighter then the specs required for a military style 1911 that rattles when you shake it.
Agree, I shoot IDPA, so I understand about the tight tolerance. However, I wasn’t looking to spend $2k and up for that level of gun. I wanted a standard 1911 commander size to carry. Compared to the other under $1k guns, and my past success with Ruger, I bought the SR1911. As some one mentioned maybe I didn’t do enough research to know this was nit mil-spec.
I did read the manual that recommended using only Ruger mags. That’s why I bought the additional 8, which all but 1 have the same issue.
I’m trying to understand if this is normal, is it fixable, does it get better after some break in period? As example, I had a couple FTEs in the. For 30 rounds. I don’t complain about that, I attribute that to the gun still in a break-in period. I’ve never had a gun have so much trouble digesting factory magazines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2 cents: I would never swap parts between different brands of firearms other than mags. Sounds like a shortcut to trouble. I have swapped frames and slides between Colts though. I've owned 1911's for almost 50 years. Colts, Springfield, Ruger, S&W, Para Ord. and never had any problem with form or function when the proper ammo was used other than one bad mag on my Ruger which they promptly replaced. I had one 1911 that was worked over well by a gunsmith and was superb. Wonders can be done to any 1911 by a competent gunsmith. I would not hesitate to CCW my Commander sized Ruger 1911. So my suggestion is if you're going to carry a 1911 and have any question about reliability, have a 1911 expert work on it. It can become ultra reliable and accurate without a fortune spent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like mil spec pistols. The other day my friend called me a minimalist. I noticed you said when you hit the mag release. I happen to be setting here with a Kimber 3" that I'm making more government with wood grips and just finished retro-fitting a Colt government thumb safety in place of the extended safety. Any way if I hold it side ways and hold the mag release down it shoots the mag out the bottom of the well into my other hand. If I touch the release and let go the mag starts out but stops when let off the release and has resistance until it clears the release mechanism.
Maybe it just needs to loosen up.
I am curious why 10 mags and a silencer. Or do I not want to know.:)
😀 10 mags 1) saves time when practicing 2) just because it’s a round number.
Silencer because I’m old and round count is high and trying to save the ears. I know a guy that went to Sig Academy got training. He bought his first one after going there. He said even the young guys were plugs, muffs, and run silencers just to preserve hearing. Never too old to learn.
And I am smashing tha mag release. The Ruger mag drop a little, the Chip McCormick, Wilson Combat mags I have to pull out by the base pad.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I have had my SR 1911 for years, had a couple of problems at first. When I first got it the only ammo that would feed was ball. I shot it a lot to break it in and finally sent it back. They worked their magic, and it eats anything. The only other problem I had was the front sight disappeared while shooting. Contacted Ruger sent in the slide got a new sight. Would I trust my life to my SR1911, you bet I would. I carry it from time to time and never think twice about it. I have several 1000 rounds through the gun. I own more Ruger's than any other brand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2 cents: I would never swap parts between different brands of firearms other than mags. Sounds like a shortcut to trouble. I have swapped frames and slides between Colts though. I've owned 1911's for almost 50 years. Colts, Springfield, Ruger, S&W, Para Ord. and never had any problem with form or function when the proper ammo was used other than one bad mag on my Ruger which they promptly replaced. I had one 1911 that was worked over well by a gunsmith and was superb. Wonders can be done to any 1911 by a competent gunsmith. I would not hesitate to CCW my Commander sized Ruger 1911. So my suggestion is if you're going to carry a 1911 and have any question about reliability, have a 1911 expert work on it. It can become ultra reliable and accurate without a fortune spent.
Thanks! I did have to change out the finger spring on my after a while. The hammer started following the slide, so the sear finger was week. Fortunately it stopped on the half cock and didn’t go full auto.
I swap my threaded barrels on other guns with factory drop ins, but modern guns that I own aren’t as fickle as the 1911. I don’t mind the rattle in my other 1911s. The 1911 has a reputation for loose tolerance just so it can be reliable in adverse condition, that’s why I wanted the commander size for carry. Combat accurate, and no stoppages. I was trained that if you are 50yards away in a gun fight, you need to be getting away, not trying to shoot 1” groups.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good point. Years ago I bought a used 1911 sent it to Wilson Combat for their Reliability package. Worked great. But that pushes the cost over $1k that I was trying to stay under. I could have bought a lesser brand that Ruger, and did that. However, 13 Rugers before this one and no major issues had my expectations that the extra money for the Ruger was a better deal, hence my disappointment.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I sent my LCR22 to Ruger twice for FTF. They replaced parts both times. After 50-100 rounds it starts having light strikes. I've found that if I spray the firing pin hole with WD40 it'll go another 50-100 rds. I'm just saying Ruger is not perfect. Maybe if you could get a set of fresh eyes on it like a knowledgeable friend or local gun smith you might could figure it out or come up with some good intel to send with it back to Ruger.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Welcome gun brother. Some time we hug guns and other times we cuss them. They are mechanical objects made by man and yours may have been finished on a Monday. o_O OK, I would be looking at the mags and see if there are wear marks that indicates friction? If so you might do a little smoothing on the wear areas and see if that helps with them sliding out.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I purchased an SR1911 for ccw purposes. Getting my NJ Permit, and NJ has max 10rd mag law.

Beautiful looking gun and shoots tight groups. However, the gun does not handle magazines well enough to feel safe for ccw. First, mags are hard to seat. Some after market mags will actually stop insertion with an inch still sticking out. Even Ruger mags suck. I bought 8 Ruger factory mag to go with the 2 that come with the gun. So 10 total, 7 of them are difficult to get into the gun AND they don’t drop free when the mag release button is hit. They come down 1/4-1/2” and you have to Rip them out, no babying them. I also have tried Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, Colt factory mags all have the same problem. Called Ruger and sent it back for repair. Gun come back today, they swapped out 1 magazine and called it repaired!!!

I also tried to put my threaded barrel in to see how my silencer would perform. Now I know 1911 barrels have to be fitted, but this isn’t even close. You cannot get a standard 1911 barrel into the slide.
when I mentioned that to customer service, they said “that’s intentional”. What? Why are you selling supposedly 1911 hand guns that are clearly out of spec?? What else is out of spec??

anyone else have these problems or did I just get a lemon?

if this is what Ruger has become, out of spec guns and customer service that is superficial, Im done with them. $900 paper weight right now.

I would not trust my life with this gun. Shoddy workmanship and really shoddy customer service. The sound you hear is Bill Ruger turning over in his grave.
I WAS a huge fan of Ruger until this purchase. 1 M77, 1mini14, 2 10/22s, 1 American Rimfire, 2 American Rifles, 1 GP100, 1 P89, 1 P95, 1 22/45. And I purchased an SR9c and SP101 for my daughter. 13 purchases, but #14 may be my last Ruger.
Re: mag issue. Send it back. Have a polite but firm conversation with customer service. Tell them you want the problem fixed and you want them to try a variety of mags before returning it to you.

Is the problem the slide or the barrel? Could be either.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts