Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, first off as some of you may already know I'm brand new to auto-loaders, shot S/A and D/A revolvers all my life. I wanted a change so I decided to get into the auto-loaders about a year ago, just received my SR1911 last week. So be easy on me if my questions seem DUMB...:eek:

Today I did the "pre-range day" preparation steps with my new SR1911, (going to the range this Saturday on our "First Date".)
...I learned to dis-assemble & re-assemble the gun via YouTube instructional videos, got it down pat, no issues there.
...cleaned and lubed the gun, (used Birchwood Casey RIG+P stainless steel lube on the slide and frame rails)
...reviewed the OM again, just to be sure I didn't overlook anything
...watched several Ruger and other training / instructional videos, on loading, unloading, (get some real time "hands on" at the range), clearing and correcting FTF's & FTE's.

I think I did everything I needed to do but I need your help, (again), with two questions...:eek:

1) I know Ruger held some very tight machining tolerances during the manufacturing process but the slide feels very tight to the frame, it's somewhat difficult to rack the slide without some exertion. I am assuming this is due to newness of the gun and after putting "some" rounds down range this will loosen up in time...is that correct?

2) today during my practice dis-assembles and re-assembles I noticed that when the gun has been put back together and when I racked the slide back and held it locked in that position there is some play in the end of the barrel, I could actually wiggle it a bit...is this normal for 1911's?

Can you help me out with question 1 and 2?

Thanks so much!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Jk55, I'm really glad you finally got your SR1911. The long wait will be worth it this Saturday as you start putting the lead down range. You are going to be surprised at how accurate it is and I predict a giant ear to ear grin that lasts for days!

Others here are better qualified to answer your questions but I do love my SR1911 and I think the first question is related to the heavy spring used. I have read that some have even put in a lighter spring so they can shoot lighter handloads. So I'm guessing what you are experiencing is normal. The second question about the barrel wiggle when the slide is locked back is normal too. All my pistols do that so I don't think you have any concerns there either.

Sounds like you've done your due diligence and are ready for some fun on the range. We expect a full report with photos!

Wave

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yup, exactly what Waveform said with regards to your questions. Both are normal. I have the barrel wiggle on my SR9 when the slide is locked back too. Enjoy the gun it's a gem. A few photos wouldn't hurt either. :D

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Wave & Sham!!!

I feel sssooo much better now :D

I didn't think I had any problems but I needed to call upon some friends to be sure...;)

Gettin' excited about Saturday. I feel like packing the truck up with the gear now...I'll put in a full range report on Saturday night, still have to learn how to do pix's...

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes all is good . I was told by more then one 1911 expert to run it wet. After I put about 300 or so rounds through mine I noticed a little ruff ness on the slide rail I lightly cleaned it up with a stone. Now have over 1500 rounds and it looks and feels smooth .

Good luck you will love it !!

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Man.......you haven't shot it yet? You have more patience than I do!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hear ya smithnframe!!! This workin' for a livin' is crampin' my life style and trigger time to boot.

All systems are go for Saturday...(I mean it :D)

Thanks bhefley59 for your reassuring words and pointers! ;)

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I'm curious why your slide is difficult to cycle. It really shouldn't be, any new 1911 I've cycled was quite slick and smooth. Even the wifes Rock Island felt like it was on bearings.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Have fun! I just picked up my first 1911 a couple weeks ago, and while it was not my first autoloader, it was still a different feel. It is by far my favorite gun, and can't wait to add more 1911's to the stable (hopefully a Ruger one day too).

Have fun, and just remember, Tap, Rack, Squeeze. Heck, what am I saying? It shouldnt' have any malfunctions, so just remember Squeeze, Squeeze, Squeeze..... The hammer will reset itself :p

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious why your slide is difficult to cycle. It really shouldn't be, any new 1911 I've cycled was quite slick and smooth. Even the wifes Rock Island felt like it was on bearings.
I don't know why, really don't have anything to compare it to as it's my first auto-loader. But when I rack the slide by hand it's very tight, really have to work it to complete the initial pull back movement. I'm hoping once I get some rounds through it this weekend it will loosen up. I've read past threads from others who had a similar condition with their new SR1911 and shooting seemed to remedy the situation.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Normal on both counts.
First dates are great, enjoy yours..... :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I agree, it doesn't sound like anything is wrong with it, have fun!

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I'll just throw in that the barrel on a 1911 is very slightly bell shaped at the noisy end. This allows the slide to move rearward with as little friction as possible, yet as it returns forward the barrel "locks" into position in the barrel nut. When the slide is in the firing position the barrel should not wiggle in the barrel nut. (the nut might wiggle a itsy bit in the slide - not too much - this is not rare in a production 1911)

I carry a bottle of CLP and a towel to the range. As you get a couple hundred rounds through it, pull it apart, wipe her down, check it out, oil it up and go back to work. After 500 rounds or so, it will really impress the daylights out of you. AND you will be a much better shot for it.

Also carry a Allen wrench for the rear sight (just in case), a brass punch and a small hammer to bump the sight if need be. On my SR1911 I had to shift my sight over a bit since I'm left handed. I found after loosening the Allen screw that it was too tight to move without a gentle tap with a brass punch.

Now go forth and shoot the daylights out of it!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
If you loosen the barrel bushing until the recoil spring is free, does the slide travel smoothly without the spring pressure? I'm guessing it does.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you hightech', stargeezer and tater for you feedback! ;)

The slide does travel easily there appears to be no friction or hanging up of any kind. I believe I'm good to go...loadin' up today for tomorrow!!!

Thanks again guys!

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I got my sr1911 back in early september ans have over 3000 rounds through it without a hiccup! It has shot whatever I feed it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts