Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time to ever call Ruger customer service . All Good ..
Decided to shoot single stack at a USPSA match on sat, five stages 120 round count. Just finished with stage three with no problems , no ports to shoot through just stand and shoot strong hand then weak hand, did not hit the muzzle on anything just cleared and holstered the weapon.
My turn on stage four , made ready (loaded and holstered) did not notice anything wrong . Beeper sounded, drew weapon found my first target but no front sight .... What the heck!! I finished the stage and went to a safe area , the blade was broken off flush , the dove tail was still in the groove (sorry no pic's). Looks like it may have been cracked a while.
I got this gun in july and have around 1100 to 1200 rounds through it . It has never been dropped or banged around and I shoot 230gr @ 750 to 780 fps . Love this gun!!
I called Ruger they are sending me a new front sight , "it will ship out today ." Thanks Ruger

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Unusual.
Good outcome though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same front sight issue this weekend. Ruger offered to send me a label to ship back my SR1911 for a new sight (no charge). I asked for them to send the sight to me for my installation and they agreed. I just removed the broken sight and will have my new sight in 3 to 5 days. Thanks Ruger!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just wanted to add my rant to this and I really hope the kind folks at Ruger read this and find a more permanent solution than just replacing an inferior part with yet another inferior part.

I bought my SR1911 CMD a couple of months ago. At the 900rd mark, the front sight suddenly broke off. Was very surprised that Ruger, a company known for putting out tough products, was using a part this fragile. I was wrote it off a fluke (this is before I Googled and found that this is a common issue dating back over a year) and contacted Ruger customer service. Off to AZ for repairs.

This is a pic from Jun 7 when the incident occurred.

Got the gun back in a little over a week. When I sent it, I had asked that if they offered a more durable sight, I was more than willing to pay for the additional cost. Well, I never got a call and all they did was just slap the same old sight back on it. Not a big deal I thought. At the time, I was willing to give the part a second chance. According to the packing slip, the new sight was mounted on 14 Jun.

This happened today, Jun 29.

The sight sheared off again and disappeared to parts unknown. That's two weeks after getting the new sight installed. I can't believe this is coming from a company like Ruger. I was going to get a full size model sometime in the next few months, but I'm definitely holding off now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hopefully Ruger will figure this out. It looks like a sight design flaw. The front of the sight rests on the slide in front of the dovetail. When the front of the slide gets hot from multiple firings the heat expansion of the front of the slide pushes the point of the sight off of the dovetail base. The front of the sight needs to have a space between it and the slide to allow for the slides heat expansion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Samo.Samo. 400 rounds and the sight sheared of. Asked if I could upgrade and they said the same sight has to be reinstalled. They do not do custom work. Sight sheared off Sunday, and Tuesday I got a prepaid shipping label. Said the turnaround will be about 7 days. Hope it lasts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SR1911 Front Sight Broken

I just had the same thing happen to me at the shooting range. Called Ruger and they are going to send me a shipping label. I also am having an ammo feeding problem they will check out too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They offer a night site on their website. I wonder if it's more durable? I'm getting my new CMD at the end of this week or the beginning of the next. I'm expecting the site to fall off at the first shot, lol.

·
Registered
444 Posts
SR 1911 front site

I bought the new Novak FO sight that Ruger is now carrying on their web site. Had my local gunsmith install it. the original site broke when he was removing it. Hopefully the new FO sight will be a bit more robust. So far so good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SR1911 front sight broken in Italy...

Hi everyone, I'm new in the forum. I'm italian and I love american guns, one month ago I bought a new SR1911 (my first 1911). It's really beautiful but...I had the same problem of many others here in the forum... While shooting, after only about 70 shots, I felt a strong "hit" in my head...I thought it was a brass but while aiming, I realized the front sight was not there!!! I picked it up from the ground and called the gunshop. They sent me a new sight in only one week, because it was available at the italian local dealer. Tomorrow my gunsmith will install it, but, reading your posts, I'm afraid it will happen again...:confused:

I send some pictures of my broken sight. Do you know if Ruger has developed a definitive solution? Please, forgive my english :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Hey Rebinor, my front sight blade has broken off two times in four months. First one was October, 2013 at a round count of 3300 and again in February, 2014 at 4300 rounds fired. Both times Ruger replaced the broken ones with the same front sight that broke off. There are several other Forum members who are experiencing the same problem...

When it happens again I'm really thinking of getting a new, different front sight installed by a gunsmith and be done with it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Rebinor, I feel your pain. Happened to me last week. As we don't ship around guns here so easy as in the US, I'm separated from my Ruger for 2-3 weeks.

I got info back they will put the same crappy part on it... When this happens again in about 1000 rounds time, I'll probably look for another sight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Rebinor, my front sight blade has broken off two times in four months. First one was October, 2013 at a round count of 3300 and again in February, 2014 at 4300 rounds fired. Both times Ruger replaced the broken ones with the same front sight that broke off. There are several other Forum members who are experiencing the same problem...

When it happens again I'm really thinking of getting a new, different front sight installed by a gunsmith and be done with it. :rolleyes:
Hi JK55 thank you for your quick answer. The strange think is that my blade broke just after a couple of hundred shots, not after thousands... In this moment the gun is at a gunsmith (a friend of mine) for replacement, but using the same part coming from Ruger. Yestreday I called Novak in the US and they told me that they know about the issue and that the SR1911 mounts only the rear sight genuine Novak, while the front sight is directly produced by Ruger, so they don't have any responsability in the issue. I asked if I colud buy the white dot genuine Novak front sight but they told me that they are not allowed to send any part outside of the US, and I don't find any Novak dealer here in Italy... Well, I'll wait for the next brake, then I'll think in a different solution :) By, and... God bless America!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have about 250 rounds through my 1911, no sight issues yet(or any issues for that matter) but I'm wondering what to do WHEN my front sight breaks. I wonder if anyone's tried grinding a few thousands off the bottom of the sight post so that the slide doesn't come in contact with it when it heats up.

Seems to me that would fix the problem if that is indeed what is causing them to break.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have about 250 rounds through my 1911, no sight issues yet(or any issues for that matter) but I'm wondering what to do WHEN my front sight breaks. I wonder if anyone's tried grinding a few thousands off the bottom of the sight post so that the slide doesn't come in contact with it when it heats up.

Seems to me that would fix the problem if that is indeed what is causing them to break.
That is not the first time I've heard that remedy & I really wonder if that could be a solution. BTW I'm halfway gunshy to even post in these threads...my front sight is still there knock on wood

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seems that if the fix were that easy Ruger would already be machining the replacement sights with more clearance underneath. Maybe I am giving them too much credit?

Another thought: For me personally, if I'm going to take the time to drift the front sight off, I'm probably just going to drift an upgraded sight back on. YMMV

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think Ruger did fix something with the new sight. Mine had broke on a Saturday and I called on Monday . I had a new sight in my mailbox on Wednesday I installed it that night. I now have over 5000 rounds on this gun and the new sight is hanging right in there. I have seen lots of other SR1911 owners having the same problem but not many repeat breaks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll try my new sight this weekend. I just got the gun back last week.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Bad casting is the issue. My sight had air pockets in it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts