Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been thinking of replacing front sight on my SR1911 with a fiber optic to give me faster pickup at matches. Since getting the Springfield XDs two months ago, I really like the sight on it.

Ruger sells one linky $41.95 seems pricey compared to after market, also plus $8 shipping (sort of steep for one little item). Most after market sights come with extra fiber in different colors - I called Ruger and they said does not, could not tell me dimensions so I'm not sure other fibers will fit. That is deal breaker more than price, I want to experiment with colors and want to be able to replace if/when necessary.

Well yesterday my thinking has been accelerated - front sight snapped off while shooting. Funny thing is I had just last week posted on here that my SR1911 had hit the 10,000 round mark linky. Hmm, coincidence? Anyway, I called Ruger and of course they are shipping a replacement. Asked if they would substitute the fiber optic. Nope. Did not want to push that and leave them wondering if I was fibbing about break. Ah well, I'll get on with the fiber I've been wanting, keep their replacement as a spare.

So I've been hunting the web for a fit. I know the slide is Novak cut .125" wide, also called Colt style. I found discussions on this forum and elsewhere that indicate height .215 inch. The part number for that Ruger sight seems to confirm: DFS02-FO.215

Now the problem - that seems to be a rare height for after market sights. Can either get .210 or .220. So I've been struggling in my search. I'd really like to grab one at MidwayUSA with some other stuff I have on my wish list from them. Dawson sells one at .220 and says it is for SR1911 linky

But something just occurred to me, wondered how much .005 difference really means. So did some simple trig & algebra:
measured slide, back of rear sight to back of front sight is 6 9/16 inch
calculate for 25 yards
using tan of the angle, gives .005 / 6.5625 = X / 25 yards
solve for X = .6857 inch, about 11/16 "

That's not much, compared to best groups at 25 yards. Jeesh, barely more then bullet diameter. Obviously less at closer distance. So I am thinking one of the .220 height would be fine.

Any opinions? Any counter thoughts? Anybody find a good source for a good sight? Anybody find one on MidwayUSA?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
my Lc9 had a front sight loose so i indented the dovetail & that made the pistol shoot low about 6 inches. so I took the front sight off and brazed 0.20 on the front sight that made it hit point of aim at 25 yd

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Ruger 1911 shoots consistently 2" low at 25 yds. Called Ruger to see what sight options were available but not much luck.
Was hoping to just change out the front sight with a lower height sight.
Based on the calculations in this post, I need to have one approx .015" lower.

Is there a fiber optic available?
Thanks
KY Hunter

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the Dawson fiber optic at .220, it has been great. For your .015, that is not much - if you are absolutely certain you could file top of sight. Go slow! Bit at a time, check it.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
My Ruger 1911 shoots consistently 2" low at 25 yds.
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
As does mine. I just adjust my sight picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts