Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one changed out the stock flat mainspring housing for a round butt model. I don't want to bobtail the gun but thinking the round butt might be what I would want.
Pictures and opinion would be nice

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The arched mainspring housing is supposed to change your NPOA upward a little bit, for more natural pointing. I guess that fell out of favor after WWII, as no one seems to offer it in a stock 1911 any more except GI re-issues. I happen to prefer it, it feels better to me.

Bobtailing is supposed to make it easier to conceal, I guess.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The arched mainspring housing is supposed to change your NPOA upward a little bit, for more natural pointing. I guess that fell out of favor after WWII, as no one seems to offer it in a stock 1911 any more except GI re-issues. I happen to prefer it, it feels better to me.

Bobtailing is supposed to make it easier to conceal, I guess.
I agree, I have several 1911's and now only one with flat MS HSG and I'll probably change that too. Just a question on how it feels to me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nothing like an exotic Bounty paper towel background...

SR1911 Government & Commander - nothing changed but Ruger rubber grips and Ed Brown mainspring housing with the stock Ruger internal mainspring parts. Fit of the Ed Brown housing was perfect.

I like the look and feel - not fancy just practical.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
No pictures but I put a Colt silver polymer arched housing on my Remington 1911 figuring if I didn't like the arch I'd only be out $8.00 and if I did like it I could pick up a stainless or aluminum housing later.

2+ years later I still haven't gotten around to buying a metal housing.

·
Registered
865 Posts
My hand reeeeeeely likes the flat MSH and long trigger. I did leave the arched one on my new SS Series 70 Gov that Colt makes. Picture.

I think the Colt Nylon/composite one is about $10 these days in either black or silver and the metal one is around $30 up from Colt and other manufacturers. I was thinking of the black flat Colt one on my Ruger SR1911CMD-LW as it is about an ounce lighter than the steel one but haven't done it yet. Picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts